Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Monday

My friends, Keith and I are down with spring colds that have hit with a 
vengeance.  Keith has more upper respitory... my voice is gone, and 
I'm sneezing to beat the band.  We had a very quiet Easter, and we hope you did, too. 
Except for going to church in the morning, I spent the day inside, cooking and visiting and
then running out to close the birds up. 


Look whom we got to see for Easter... my brother Pete.  He was sprung from the nursing home by my sister in law, and they came out to see the new house and have some dessert with us.  He has slipped a little farther away... but when I told him we were eating at our family table, he perked up, and he easily recognized our mother, our brother Mike, and himself, in an old picture.  
He's still in there, somewhere. 

And yes, as you can see... we have NO FURNITURE IN THE LIVING ROOM.  Yet.  
One thing at a time. 


This very unlikely sight greeted me last night in the old henhouse.  Those are the porcelains, up on the closet! 
I looked around and realized the old Japanese birds were OUTSIDE!


All three roosters and the little hen were out... and wanted out in the pasture very badly.  Unfortunately, I was flagging and it was late in the day.  I decided, finally, to leave the pophole open for them, and went home. 


I find this so interesting... grass, and weeds, are now taking over the little red henhouse yard, called the "little henyard".  I'll actually have to mow in there in a while. 

It's because there are no longer any birds on this yard... the seven left have access to it, but rarely go over there. 

This morning I opened the gate to the pasture so that everyone could go out if they want. 


After showing you how Fluffernut and April were laying on the floor on Saturday....
I found their eggs in the nestbox yesterday. 


And the three chickens who are left in the henspa... were let out into the yard this morning, so they could eat some green stuff.  See the moss trying to grow in there? 


This beautiful tree... is it a weeping cherry?... is just outside our back door at the new house. 


As I was on my way to the old place, I saw these guys sitting in a tree by the road. 
Underneath them was ONE dead skunk. 


On the way back, this guy had won out, and the others were all gone.  The skunk was almost gone too.  What a wonderful system to use to clean up dead animals... the ecosystem just works great, doesn't it?  I love these birds, even the ones who got my chickens last summer! 

I'm going to stop now and take a little nap, and try to get over this stuff we have.  Keith has had to take a day off too, and is already asleep.  We are trying not to talk, since my voice is almost gone. 
I hope everyone has a great start to their week!

Oh... and a short Abby update... 

We are stunned and thankful that she is so much better in a short time.  I have learned to give the shots... and she is feeling a LOT better, the frenetic behavior has stopped and we know now she must have been in pain for months.  We are not over the hump, but we are on a new road to good health for our little girl. 

Thanks for all your kind thoughts for her! 

13 comments:

  1. I hope you both feel better soon. Buzzards just intrigue me. Did you ever read Freckles and Girl of the Limberlost? I always loved the part about the vultures.
    I am glad you guys are in your new house. I think your brother has a nice face. He looks kind.
    I hope you get lots of rest today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy Abby is doing better. I am glad you got to spend Easter with your brother.
    stella rose and momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's nice that you got a visit from your brother and SIL.

    I'm very sorry you both have the crud. It seems worse to have it at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you both had a peaceful Easter and start to feel better again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. spring colds are the worst! i hope you are both better soon. what good news about abby! once that medicine kicks in it makes such a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rest well and get better soon. What a wonderful Easter gift, to have your brother at your new house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you are both not feeling well. Sure hope the rest does you both good and you are feeling much better soon. I do believe that is a weeping cherry tree but it is in bad need of a little trimming. I love seeing all the blossoms popping out now everywhere you look. Take good care !

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice that your brother was able to join you all for Easter!!
    It's too bad that you both have nasty colds, and I'm sending "get well" wished your way.

    Looks like some of the chickens are up to some hi-jinx. Good thing they are still laying :)

    Take care of yourselves, and your Abby.

    Smiles :)
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its wonderful news that Abby is feeling better ! Now you and Keith need to get better too.
    So nice you could have your brother visit for dinner!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary Ann,

    You and Keith need to take it easy for a few days and take care of yourselves.
    I'm so happy to see you had enjoyed your Easter with a nice visit from your brother and his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear Abby is still doing well. You two need to slow down and rest. None of those projects are going to disappear if they aren't done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad she's doing better. Hope you two are feeling better soon too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!