Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve at the Rainbow Bridge



Whether snuggling in Hannah's blankie on the couch Friday

 
Following Big Sister Lilly in the snow on Saturday
 
 
Waiting at the window with Abby for Daddy to come home
 
 
Watching the Chiefs (lose) with Daddy
 
 
Helping find mice for Mommy in the henhouse
 
 
Starring in what we hoped would be her own blog on New Year's Day
 
 
Taking a little rest with her sisters and her Daddy yesterday morning after church
 
 
Posing for ONE second with Daddy in her Christmas hat
 
 
And in a beloved picture with her sisters Hannah, lost in January this year, and Abby. (Our Three Little Girls)
 
 
She was our dear little pug girl, and we loved her so very much.
 
We lost Gertie Lou this morning around eleven.  She slept all night with me, under the covers as usual... ate her breakfast more slowly than usual, but then ran outside and circled me in loops as we went to the henhouses.  Her usual, irrepressible self.
 
At eleven I was in line at Wal Mart when the phone rang.  Keith asked me to come home right away. 
He had been at the desk with Gertie and Abby near him, as usual.  He got up to do something, went around the corner into the hall, and found Gertie on the floor in the living room, by our bible table. He tried to revive her, but she was gone. 
 
We think a heart attack, though she was only 3. 
Yes, she had regular vetting. 
Addie Mae was lost the same way... a bad heart.
 
We have decided, instead of burying her... that she will be cremated and her ashes spread here, where she was so happy.  How she loved to run in the pasture... how she loved to follow Lilly all over the yard, and she lived to adore her Daddy and cuddle at his side.
 
How we will miss her sweet little cooing voice, she cooed like a baby when you moved her.
We only got to love her for two years... she was adopted after being given up by several families, and how blessed we were to get her and love her and be loved by her.
 
Run to the Bridge, little Gertie, and wait for us there, Lilly, Abby, Ranger, and
your Mommy and Daddy who loved you so much.
 
 
 
 
 

18 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy to lose a dear friend. Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ann, I am so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and your husband and for Gertie's pal. You know that I know how it hurts. I at least was blessed with having a few days to prepare. I can only imagine the pain from not having been with her when it happened.

    My pain was eased the past two days when our youngest son and his wife and our baby granddaughter came home to visit. But the first night they were here and had gone upstairs to bed, my husband had stayed up to read and then came in to tell me goodnight and there was a shocked look on his face. He had been so tired from all the work getting ready for this weekend and when he came in the bedroom door started to bend over the bed like he always did to pet Penelope. He had forgotten that she was not here anymore. It was a hard moment. And I kept thinking all last night of how much she would have loved everybody being there last night and all the good smells coming from my oven.

    I'll be praying for you. With love and sorrow,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mary Ann. I am so SO sorry after reading this, as it was apparent how much you and Keith love her. We never have enough time with our beloved pets and Gertie got called across the bridge much too early. So sorry, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those of us who are owned by dogs love them like children. Very sorry about your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that you lost your friend. It sure sounds like she was a wonderful dog, and had a wonderful life with you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mary Ann, my heart just broke in half for you! When I saw the title of this post I held my breath when I started to read it and then the tears came. I am so, so, sorry for your sudden loss. She had such a wonderful life with you, and had only the best love and care. I know you must be so heartbroken, it's such a shock. Please know I am sending much love your way and so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, this just breaks our hearts. Our sweet Angel Yoda is sure to have met her as she crossed the bridge. (((HUGS)))

    Pugs & Kisses,

    Brutus & Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know your so broken inside. This is soooo sad. My heart is breaking for all of you because I know how much you loved Gertie.
    We have tears running down our faces,,,,
    I am placing my paws around your neck right now- hugging you,,,,
    I send love and peace for your heart.
    I know Gertie is with the angels,,,,, they are kissing her,,, she is now someones little angel.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear of this. I know how you and Keith love your pups.
    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very, very sorry. What a terrible loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Mary Ann, I am sitting here crying on Christmas morning, knowing how heartbreaking it is to lose a canine friend who lives only to love you! The only solace is that she didn't suffer; unfortunately, that doesn't fill the hole she has left. I wish I could be there to wrap my arms around you both and cry with you....

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart aches for you. She will be there for you someday, along with all the other fur babies we have cared for and lost along the way.

    Peace and healing for you this Christmas....

    1st and 2nd Man

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so very sorry!! It is so hard when we lose our sweet little furkids, especially when it is unexpected. Big Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no! I am so sorry about Gertie. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary Ann:
    We haven't been on our computer since last friday and didn't know about gertie...we are so sad and sorry! We are sending you a hug and wish we could come over to your house and just visit and give you a real real hug! We know exactly how you are feeling when it comes to loss. Could you send us your email cos we have something we would like to send you? here is ours simpson_long@yahoo.com
    Stella rose and family

    ReplyDelete
  16. MA!! WAIT! WHAT??? I am just getting home from being at the farm and getting caught up. I am devastated to hear this. How sorry I am. I know what this little girl meant to your little family of feathers and fur and I know how much you and Keith will miss her great big personality. Please know I will keep you and Keith close to my heart and I will give each one of my four legged and feathered family members an extra dose of love today in Gertie Lou's memory. How terribly sad to have it be so sudden but she knew she was loved. She was a lucky little girl to have finally found a place of love at your home and in your heart.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know this was such a shock for both of you. I'm glad she didn't suffer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!