Thursday, April 23, 2020

Life in the Time of Corona

Things are changing here at Calamity Acres, friends. 


Oh, some things have pretty much stayed the same. 

The tan and white cat and Rusty are still eating in the pasture. 


And Spot, the black and white feral, checks on the porch during the day for food.  I also see him by the water bowl near the big hen house. 


I'm seeing fewer of these guys, because I am pulling the food in very early, now. 

You see, I made the mistake of starting out the door Sunday night without looking first.... as a big raccoon scuttled away under the deck, both Fritzi and Snowy (formerly Gemma) pulled out of their collars and leads, and took off.  I chased Snowy for a while, it scared me to death, because she has gone under the deck. 

I caught her, eventually, when she paused to pee. 

But, never again.  I won't be opening the door ever, without checking. 


This has commenced.... I usually start on or about Easter, but this year,
I had to start before.  

A week after this, I broke the front end of my John Deere motor cover... the mechanic is 
coming for the tune-up next week, and I'm going to call and see what a new cover will cost me. 

Then I'll decide if it's happening, or not. 


We have had wonderful, sunny days. 


I'm having so much fun watching the birds around me. 

I took that through the screen. 


My son came out to look for morels two days ago. 

I have never seen such huge ones on my property. 
In fact, the regular place had NONE this year, these were in a new area


This one alone was close to a pound!


Sweet little Fritzi has had a hard month, and it's only 
going to get harder.  She has diabetes, and spent five days at the Emergency Animal Hospital. 

We have been doing twice daily shots, since she came home.  This morning, 
for the first time, she snapped at me and then screamed as I gave the shot. 

In the old days, Keith would have held her for me.  

I am going to talk to her in a no-nonsense voice tonight 
as I come to her with the syringe... she knows what it is now. 

We will see how she does.  

Friends, I admit it... I was shaky as I gave it to her after she flinched and 
screamed, and it was a scream.  I am determined to give her her shot at 8:15 and we will 
see how we do. 

She is very dear to me, and I am going to do everything I can to help her. 


And... this happened.  My pasture caught fire when my neighbor to the east drove his 
electric golf cart down to his garden spot and set the grass on fire with the electric motor. 
That's my neighbor Troy and another volunteer with the Stranger Creek Volunteer Fire Dept., using the brush truck to put it out. 

It's already growing back. 

And now, friends, something sad.  

For the last two months, I have been waiting to hear from the man who had told me he would shear for me this year.  We actually had two eighty degree days, very early.  I was worrying myself sick about Fluffy and Niblet, who needed to be sheared. 

I spoke with him, and he was worried about coming because he had a granddaughter who had recently been ill, who lived with them.  He told me "he would be there next week". 

In the meantime, Troy saw me post about it on Facebook. 

He called to tell me a young man who was a new volunteer with the fire department kept sheep, 
and could shear for me. 



The picture that has greeted me at my pasture gate for the last year, and really, the last two years, 
as the boarded flock was here before. 




Here is Samuel shearing Fluffy.  It was almost impossible to catch her, and 
Flicka and Cookie literally went through the fence, tearing part of it and breaking a post off . 
Then Fluffy and Niblet jumped OVER it into the pasture.  Samuel did all the work. 
Because.... I was almost mown down, and here we are at the crux of the matter. 

I am 69.  I had been knocked into at least four times in the last two months by an excited Cookie and once by Fluffy, who hit me at the knees in excitement.  I almost went down. 

I realized I could not take care of them right, months ago. 

As Samuel sheared, I talked to him about the sheep.  To make a long store short, 
he talked to his mother, and four days later, they came and picked them up. 

Another rodeo, but his brothers were here to help. 




Yes, it broke my heart. I was crying when I took this picture. 

But, an example... as Samuel was shearing, he casually looked down 
and said "Do you ever trim their feet?".... and folks, I COULD NOT. 
I also could not find a vet who would come for sheep, (there is one in Atchison, 
as Samuel told me) and they had not had their shots. 

It is so easy to watch Sandi Brock do it... she has all the handling chutes, equipment, etc., and it is another thing to be in there by yourself.  Yes, Cookie and Niblet would let me touch them, 
but as far as haltering and leading?  NO. 

They have gone to live with Samuel and his family and their flock of almost thirty. 
Some of them will come here in the next few months to graze in my pasture, but Samuel 
will be taking care of them daily. 

So... my sheep adventure has ended, and I believe it will be for the good of the sheep. 

So, changes have come, but not all are bad.  

I know the sheep (at least the ewes) will have a good home... and I miss them, but am not missing being worried about falling. 

I have plenty to do with the chickens, and the dogs. 

Samuel sent me a wonderful thank you note, he is really a nice young man, and I think the sheep will be fine there, and that is a relief to me. 

I miss seeing them. 

Everyone stay safe! 















7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update Mary Ann!! I always enjoy reading these!! Wow! What a great morel find! My son hasn’t had any luck so far this year. I’ll be praying Snowy calms down and your able to give her the shots easily. Take care and be safe!❤️🙏🏼

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the Lord brought Samuel into your life at just the right time! I do hope you are able to manage Fritzi's shots, and diet, so you can enjoy her company for a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    A great rundown of what's been happening for you MA - it is always a wrench to let go of something we have invested a lot of ourselves into - but as you say, the sheep will be better off overall and, in the end, so will you! This is really a very positive outcome and it is a delight that you were brought together with Samuel. Now I send POTP for Snowy and Fritzi; they are going to be quite the handful between them!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you found them a good home Mary Ann and you should be happy that they are going to somebody who can handle them.

    I hope the shots go good for Fritzi. I'm sure it's hard to give them 2 times a day.

    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being knocked about by sheep would be cause to give them up. Glad they found a good h home. Yes, you do have plenty to keep you busy. More than I'd want to take on for sure. Enjoy these Spring days. We are still waiting for warmer weather here. We had April Snow several times this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your sheep went to a happy forever home.
    It has helped me in years past if I needed to give away animals, to know that they were going to happy forever homes too :)

    Good thing that your pasture is growing back, and no one was hurt due to the fire.

    Take care and have a lovely weekend.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have suffered with herpes since I was young it is only the last few years I got to know so I started to look for a cure I went to several hospitals but to no avail. So I came here online to see if I could find a cure so I came across a page here a man was sharing testimonies about Dr Ohikhobo for his natural herbs cure for herpes so I decided to give it a try it only took two weeks of me taking his herbs and I was completely cured from herpes. contact Dr Ohikhobo today if you want to be cured from herpes or any kind of disease too .
    His Email: drohikhoboherbalcenter@gmail.com
    His Whatssap: +2348103601042
    His Blog: https://drohikhoboherbalcenter.blogspot.com/
      

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!