Saturday, April 11, 2020

Still Spring Here

As I write this, I have another batch of banana bread in the oven! 
I just reread my last post, I was baking then, too. 

I have one of these small loaves earmarked for an elderly 
friend, and hope to run there today and leave  
eggs and bread outside the door. 

Yes, folks, I am wearing a mask when I go out.  It's reality. 

I noticed this morning when I had to pop in the store for a few 
things that even men are wearing their masks with pride. 


We have had some beautiful days here lately. 

Two days ago, we broke the record for heat, it was 
88 degrees out!  I actually broke shorts out for the afternoon. 

I was really, really worried about Niblet and Fluffy, the two wool sheep. 

So, let's talk about them. 


I wrote about Fluffy almost knocking me down a week ago. 
Well, my Good Neighbor Troy was able to find someone for me 
to shear.  The other night, they turned up at my door. 

I would show you the pictures but frankly, I cannot get the phone 
pictures to come over right now. 

The young man, Troy and I tried to catch these two inside the pen, 
they would absolutely NOT go into the barn where it would have been easier. 

They broke a post and pulled all the wire loose trying to go through. 

Yes, the young man finally tackled each.... but as they ran at me, my life 
passed in front of my eyes. 

As the young man sheared, he asked "Did I ever trim hooves".  I shook my head and told him : 
"This is why I  need to rehome them, I cannot take care of them alone". 

And then, a miracle happened. 

The next morning after the Shearing Rodeo, the young man called and told me he 
had asked his mother and my sheep will be joining their flock.  I am overjoyed, to know
they will go to a home that knows sheep and can handle them right. 

Here is the better part.... He will use my pasture and Troy's for several months this summer, 
bringing his flock over (there are about thirty).... and then they will all go home in August. 
I get to watch them all summer, which makes me very happy.  He will be over daily to check on them. 

This young man, Samuel, is on the Stranger Creek Fire Department with Troy. 
I am so impressed with him, and glad to make his acquaintance. 

Yes, friends, I am giving the sheep to him, I was never in this to make money. 
I asked him not to tell me what would happen to Cookie, the wether, my pet. 
I have to let go. 


So, last Saturday, I decided to keep Gemma. 

She was whelped on June 1st, 2003.  She will be seventeen on 
June first. 

She is a chicken killer... she had Buddy down yesterday and by the time I got her, 
I thought he was dead.  He can no longer be in the yard daily because of it....  he did revive, 
after his comb and head had turned blue from shock.  I have him all fixed up in the little henhouse today with one hen... he has a makeshift fence in front, and while he would like to be out with 
the main flock, he is happy and has good shelter.  The thing is, she can't get to him. 

She will literally pace back and forth at the fence for an hour, so I only let her out for 
little bits of time. 

As you can see, she has fit in. 

I no sooner had paid her fee on Saturday,  when I had a crisis with Fritzi.  Fritz had been going in and out 
at frequent intervals day and night, and I should have tipped that there was something very wrong.  I rushed her to an emergency vet hospital last Saturday when my son and I noticed she was 
trembling badly on her bed. 

Fritzi was diagnosed with diabetes and it was touch and go for two days.... she did not come home until Wednesday. 

She gets shots twice a day, and is on various meds for a few more days, 
but is much, much better. 


On our left in this picture is Abby, and in the middle, 
Gertie, and leaning on her, Hannah. 

These three girls were our beloved pugs, they had been 
preceded by Addie Mae, who had already died. 

Abby became diabetic.  Keith and I were not shown how to 
give her shots, and we were given a prescription for human 
syringes and needles, and not trained to use them. 

It was a nightmare, which culminated in Abby dying at home. 

For four days, I agonized about giving the shots to Fritzi. 

Guess what? 

NO PROBLEM. 

I think it's mindset, and a vet tech at the hospital took time to have me practice with 
sterile solution.  The syringes are much different, and I am getting ones designed for 
animals now.  My vet has the Vetsulin. 

So far, I have had only one tiny yip, and yes, she does not like them... but is 
taking them like a rock. 

I'm proud of her.  We are on a different diet, supplemented with 
some chicken breast cut into it, and she loves it.  It's a whole new world for us, and one in which I believe she will be around for years to come. 


The porch cam caught this bluejay looking for cat food this morning at sunrise. 


The camera caught Gems as she came out, too!

It is going to be a strange Easter this year.  I did drop off 
a makeshift Easter basket for my two youngest grands yesterday, 
and an Easter "sack" for our little friend Brayden.  How good it was to see him. 

Mass will be said on tv and also on Facebook, and I will watch 
from my home.  
My traditional thing to do on Easter (besides cook) is cut grass, 
but I have actually already started cutting this year, you know. 

I am going to do a little trimming with the push mower this afternoon, to get ahead of the game. 
We are expecting thunderstorms late this afternoon, spring is truly here in Kansas. 



Last Sunday was the seventeenth anniversary of this. 

That is my stepson, Brandon, in front of Keith and me at our 
wedding.  

What a happy day that was for us, and we did not know 
we would only have thirteen years together before 
Keith was called on ahead of me. 

Brandon has gone on ahead, too, and they actually shared a birth date. 

I hope they are not laughing to hard at me as they look down on me. 

Everyone stay safe, and have a blessed Easter! 






8 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for the update, Mary Ann; I had SO many questions from your brief Instagram posts! And such a happy wedding photo.... Hugs from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you found a sheep person for yours. Gemma is getting a good home. I'm sorry to hear that Fritzi has become diabetic.

    A very strange Easter this year.

    You are sweet to take food to that lady.

    Bless you Mary Ann and take care,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always love reading the updates Mary Ann. I’m so glad to hear the sheep are going to a good home. You are such a blessing to so many. I pray God’s blessings on you today and always. Happy Easter!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    MA - this is an EXCELLENT update to fill in the gaps from the instything! I send POTP for Fritzi - and Buddy. Gemma is clearly feeling she owns the place! So very very happy for you that the matter of the sheep has found such an elegant and joyful solution; now you will have the best of both worlds!

    I love your wedding picture; to have both those handsome men looking over you, even if with a giggle between themselves, must surely make your heart tingle. God Bless you dear blogpal - enjoy your Easter service, even if from 'social distance'. Much Love, YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you all a very happy Easter. May Fritzi feel well and official welcome to Gemma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Fritzi! I'm so glad she was diagnosed quickly and that you now feel confident to give her the insulin she needs. It's wonderful that you will have the sheep to enjoy watching in the summer and they have good people to assume care of them. Mary Ann, I am so glad to get to see your wedding photo and those beautiful smiles on your faces. And the two guys who you will see again someday. They would surely be proud of you.

    A blessed Easter to you,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have suffered with herpes since I was young it is only the last few years I got to know so I started to look for a cure I went to several hospitals but to no avail. So I came here online to see if I could find a cure so I came across a page here a man was sharing testimonies about Dr Ohikhobo for his natural herbs cure for herpes so I decided to give it a try it only took two weeks of me taking his herbs and I was completely cured from herpes. contact Dr Ohikhobo today if you want to be cured from herpes or any kind of disease too .
    His Email: drohikhoboherbalcenter@gmail.com
    His Whatssap: +2348103601042
    His Blog: https://drohikhoboherbalcenter.blogspot.com/
      

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!