Thursday, March 21, 2013

Where Did Spring Go?


Yes, we've had a smattering more snow, that came down for hours.  Unfortunately, deck and porch are VERY slick this time. 

It seems we are to get more tomorrow into Saturday.  

I did get some things at the grocery, just in case, but we are all snuggled in tightly here. 

The poor bulbs coming up! 


Look whom I dropped by to see yesterday!  Please note his new friends around him... he was free to go in the large (several acres) yard.... the peacock on the right, the peahen on the fence in the back, the guineas behind him.  Also behind him just out of view were Rosie, the other turkey hen living there, and the white tom turkey.  Jackson came right to me when he heard my voice, and then began showing off for me.  


This guy, Woody, came too... and growled at me... I hadn't realized he was loose... but we became friends pretty quickly.  Friend Roxanne is out of town picking up a load of baby goats at her daughter's house, and a caretaker is at her farm for the week, but my honking did not bring him out. 

I have to tell you that I felt so much better in my heart after I saw the turkeys were loose to move around, eat and drink with everyone else. 

I read all your comments about the tree yesterday, and the enormous cost we were quoted to take it down before it falls on the shop.  

In the old days, lumber companies would pay to get your walnut trees, because they needed walnut so badly.  Now, you have to take it down and haul it to them, to sell it.  We just want it down before it falls down, though we love the old tree. 


This, my friends, is what scaly leg mite infestation looks like. 

This bird, one of the four little roosters in the henspa, was only in the pasture pen before moving into the new henhouse.  How the HECK did the roost out there get infected?  

I am putting vaseline and VetRX on his feet, and the whole time... he was pecking the HECK out of my hand that is out of the picture.  His brother has the dang stuff, too... and got the treatment this afternoon, with more pecking.  


Both Mille Fleurs.  

The mixed rooster in there, which was also a home-grown, has actually become the top dog... his name is Moe, and he seems to be the one to everyone else kowtows. 

Moe is the little rooster to the right in the picture below with the black tail. 


Which of these things is not like the other? 



That's it for a cold Thursday from Calamity Acres! 

12 comments:

  1. Evening, so happy to see Jackson well and roaming about, how cute he remembered you......To bad about the legs, Yukky......No Spring here either, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear and see that Jackson is doing well. He's a handsome fellow! No spring yet here, either. No snow, but it's freezing...literally...and has been very windy. I'm ready for March to go out like a lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think spring is ever going to get here !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had Mille Fluers for years. I must have a thing for french chickens because now we have their larger French cousins Salmon Favarolles. Just so you don't feel alone I will let you know it is snowing here in New England as I am posting this ~sigh ...where is Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have given you some comfort seeing that all was well at your friends house. It continues to flurry here about every day. Tomorrow we may get above freezing and see some sunshine but still it will be in only in the upper 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary Ann! Yes where did spring go?? There is a snow storm here at the moment, set for 36 hours, so they say!! Gale force winds, 60-70 mph. God knows whats going on, `cos we dont, and to be honest, if this continues, feed costs are gonna go sky high again. The Daffodils have been smashed with the snow, and the constant East wind is bitingly cold. Anyway, lets hope things change for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure it has really started.
    Mother Nature seems to be in a snit!

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That scaly mite business doesn't sound fun. I think we're expecting snow this weekend. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the weather is all messed up! Sorry about the mite stuff-hope it gets cleared up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you were able to stop by your friend's! I bet that visit really put your mind at ease. Sorry about the scaly leg mite infestation. Yikes! Hope it gets cleared up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you are not so worried about Jackson any longer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!