Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Return of Winter

As Keith calls it, it "snained" today... a snow/rain mixture. 
Yes, the official last day of winter, plus, they are telling us another storm is behind it and we can expect an inch or two on Thursday into Friday.  I am not complaining (much) because we can use every last bit of moisture... but it is getting tiresome. 
I don't want 86 degree days, either, right now... just normal spring days so I can get the garden in and work on tidying up the yard. 


Here's Abby with me this afternoon, watching HLN. 

She likes to sleep with her head hanging off the couch. 

I am still dithering about the turkeys, so am going to stop by my friend's tomorrow and check to see how they are doing.  I don't want them back, I just want to make sure they settled in. 
Crazy, I know. 

We didn't get much done outside today because of the snow and rain, so not much to report on the gardening front, but I have got all three of the tomatoes up now, and had to remove the plastic cover, because two of the seedlings were actually pressing on it.  
I'll take a picture of them tomorrow. 

Abu Rawan from Baker Creek was the first up, followed by Gypsy, and SuperSauce.  I am keeping close records of each variety this year. 

None of my perennial seeds has stuck it's head up yet, but they are 7 to 21 days to germination on that side. We are going to bring in my old crafting table and set it up in the office, so I can start four more trays of seedlings. 


Oops.  Abs got stuck on the coop side of the old henhouse... the feed room side is where Butch lives, and his friends come back and forth through the hole in the door that you see here. 

That's it for gardening news today at Calamity Acres. 

Here's a couple of pictures from last night... and Ian and Cheyenne, if you read this, feeding is about to cease until next winter, and we aren't letting the chickens out in the pasture.  However, I think two little goat wethers are about to come into our lives, so we need to deter the predators at this point. 

They get the eggs we can't give away anymore. 



We have seen that there is a lot of living and let living amongst the wildings. 



14 comments:

  1. Love the photos! We had a full blown blizzard here in Montreal and are still getting some snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evening, like the picture of you and Abby, cute......neat to see the night animals, love that, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, it makes my head hurt to think of sleeping with my head hanging down off the sofa! I guess that's why it's Abby, and not me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Live and let live" is a pretty good motto. Great picture of you, Mary Ann, and I love the socks! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great thing to be able to spy on the critters ... ah technology!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snain is a great word for it! I love seeing all your nighttime wildlife pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dog asleep looks very funny. I love your night cam pics of the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the night cam pictures !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Winter is back here too. It's 24 out right now. We really never warmed up much at all. Maybe we'll get above freezing for the weekend. It must be nice seeing your little seedlings grow. At least you have a bit of Spring at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom just wishes she could stay home today from work cos its is spitting snow and very cold now.....she would sit in the cliner with me all day if she could!
    stella rose and mags

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring is HERE you just can't tell it by the temps or the forcast.

    Have a great day.

    M :

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so ready to get my tomatoes in the ground. Now it looks like my husbands work is going to get so busy (a good thing) that he won't be able to help me get my garden fixed up. Looks like he'll be working 6 or 7 days a week again for a while. Oh well, the woes of the self employed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are fascinating pictures showing the coyote and possum together!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!