Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Dismal Sunday

Well, rainy, that is. 
Keith and I are feeling very badly this afternoon. 


This beautiful bird, that we put so many months into taking care of.... tried to get me again last night, he jumped off the roost, (you see his wattles are cherry red with anger) and almost got me as I grabbed the waterer from the coop side of the big henhouse. 

Fast forward to today: 


Here they are in the yard at Roxanne's.  We got them loaded without too much trouble, but as we pulled up to Roxanne's gate, she told me on the phone... "Maybe we had better wait until I get back from Tennessee at the end of the week"... and I told her "I have them loaded and we're at the gate".  She told me to bring them in.  Rosie was so frightened when Keith picked her up that she is missing feathers. You can tell from this picture that she is half bourbon red and half bronze.  
(She has someone who will be feeding for her) 


The welcoming committee came from far and near. 


The peacocks came flooding down the yard, but then saw Keith and me and turned around and flooded back. 


This guy heard Jackson and proceeded to come over, gobbling and displaying. 

Roxanne was inside, getting cleaned up and dressed, and told us to leave the birds in her kid pasture (she has a goat dairy) and she would take care of them.  We left them, and went home. 

I took Nathan home to Garnett.  

When I got back, it was raining, and 38 degrees.  Keith looked at me and said
"Do you think Jackson and Rosie have food and water?"....

I told him Roxanne had told me she would come out and see that they were fed and watered. 

They have a small metal shelter to get in, and it had a small amount of straw in it, the geese had spent the winter in that pen.  

Our hearts are hurting, but as a friend said to me by email this morning... she had a good friend whose husband was diabetic, who had been injured by an animal at their farm.  It took weeks for him to heal. 
I was in fear of being knocked over by Jackson, and possible spurred hard.  
I know it was the right thing to do, as Roxanne is skilled at caring for poultry... and the people who come for tours at her place will love to see Jackson and Rosie. 

But they are sleeping virtually outside tonight in the cold rain, on a bed of scanty straw (if they even will go in the shelter) and they had a nice, warm henhouse.  

Our hearts hurt. 

13 comments:

  1. I hope, for both your hearts' sake and for the turkeys, that they settle in well and all you hear are excellent reports!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you are sad! When you pour so much into animals and it just doesn't work out, it's discouraging. I'm sure they will be fine tonight...they have such natural instincts, that hopefully they will go inside the shelter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your turkey troubles.
    We have had that happen with Roosters, they can be so mean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Gennie's! I remember them on the farm!
    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really to bad you had to get rid of the beautiful Turkey's but I agree, you would not want to get hurt by the big bird.....I hope they are safe and warm tonight, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is heartbreaking, but something that had to be done for your safety! Look at him puffed up and presenting, they are beautiful! Hang in there, I'm sure they are well cared for tonight.

    And I've nominated you for the Liebster Award!
    Check it out: http://magnoliaholler.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it is hard to have to find a new home for animals you are attached to. I'm sure they will be fine. They are beautiful birds. It sounds like the new owner has plenty of experience with birds.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry your having to do this but have to think its for the best ! Hope you have a great start to your week

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you did the right thing. They will be fine. It's raining here this morning and it's cold out too. There were two brave robins in the yard though. That's about the only sign of spring around here. Hope you have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry about them Mary Ann. They came from a whole lot worse situation. They will be just fine.

    Sorry you had to make that decision to remove them from your property.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, I'm so sorry. It must have been so hard to do this. You have to look out for your safety first and foremost. I'm sure in no time they will settle in to their new home and be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry, Mary Ann, but it had to be done. It would have been foolish to keep risking you getting hurt. It looks like they're in a good place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my heart was hurting too after reading about Jackson and Rosie. I have such a tender heart when it comes to feathered and furry creatures. I hope they are okay and didn't suffer too much trauma from the move. I can understand why you felt they needed a different home, but I know it was hard to part with them. They'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!