Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tuesday Tidbits

I didn't get too far towards planting more seeds today, but I'll get to that in the morning.  I used to get worried when I had a lot to do, about how I could fit it all in, etc.... I don't do that anymore, and that's one of the luxuries of being retired. 



This picture cracks me up.  Moe, this little rooster, is protecting Fluffernut, the little brown bantam from the little henhouse born last summer.  Moe came from the little flock in the pasture pen, the one that we had to move so quickly in November, before we were really finished with the new henhouse.  I never meant for those three little roosters to move.  Now they are all settled in, and this little guy has turned out to be a nice little rooster. 


He let everyone know that they had better not bother him. 

It's nice, because the old bantam roosters in the old henhouse all have one little hen who is their companion, too.  

Today, I started a new blog for someone.  Please go HERE to see it.  We follow many pug blogs, and I had intended long before Christmas for Abby and Gertie to have their own, so now, Abs has her own. 

I love Pinterest, there, I've said it.  I LOVE IT.  I love history, and I have spent hours looking at wonderful old pictures recently... I found a site last night that has such good ones... and I've found lots of good recipes. I usually check each of them out before pinning, too... and here's one I tested today. 


Here is the caption under it: 


"For anyone that may not know, the BEST way to make hard-boiled eggs is in the OVEN! Place the eggs in a muffin tray so they do not move around, turn the oven to 325 degrees, pop in for about 25-30 minutes and remove! Not only are they tastier, but they also are much easier to peel!" Mind blowing.


Sorry, it pasted like that.  

The point is, I have never, or rarely ever, made hard-boiled eggs right.  Keith usually has to do it for me. 
These were RIGHT.  
I made deviled eggs, which I love! 

I would add to the instructions that I DID put mine in cold water after they came out. 

I also pinned this... go ahead and laugh


I WORE THIS STUFF. 

Right now, we are under threat of rain or snow, which is bizarre.  It is VERY windy again, and sunny, with big clouds moving around. 


Crazy. Weather. 

I did get quite a bit done in the garden, trimming plants, and tomorrow I'll trim the three buddleias. (Thanks for the tips!) 

I got the new henhouse half-cleaned out, too, the bit under the roosts, and all that is on the pea bed, and will be covered with good new dirt for this weekend's planting of peas.  
I have a BUNCH of seeds to go through tomorrow morning, and decide what seeds are going to go onto the light table next. 

That's it for a blustery day at Calamity Acres! 

8 comments:

  1. I wore those cloths too!
    Will have to try your baked eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw another new-to-me method for successfully hard-boiling farm-fresh eggs today, but the one you posted looks MUCH less fiddly. You used fresh eggs and they peeled easily? If so, I am DEFINITELY trying this!

    LOVE that last photo; the clouds look so substantial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your always so busy.
    I love the rooster- he is beautious.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pinterest too. It's a nice place to get some new ideas. I'd never heard of baked eggs before. Glad it worked for you. It's been pretty blustery here too. That is the March winds blowing away winter. Being retired is wonderful. I love not having to be under pressure to get things done. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, those clouds look like they are gonna fall down onto your property.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! I had a pair of red plaid pants very much like the ones in that picture! :)
    I am curious too, did you use fresh eggs or ones a week or so old?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so against pinterest for so long but I love it now - I'm always looking at stuff and getting ideas! Sometimes they are really good ones too. It's fun. I really like that you accept you can only get so much done and that there is always tomorrow... I need to learn how to do that - we all do. We need to not push ourselves so hard. Weather has been weird here too. Gotta love March! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you hung onto the bell bottoms. They likely will come back into fashion again.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!