Sunday, August 6, 2023

It's Been a Hot Summer

And I guess the title is true for most of our country, this year. 

It's been hot here in Kansas, too. 

Fans running in all the henhouses, and a fan running in the barn for Mama and Teenie. 


Bullseye was taking a lazy way of watching the birds one morning... and actually, he does this many mornings!  I'll look out there and see all four paws in the air. 


I looked out the window to see Wanda here one morning, and I watched as she calmly walked all over the roof, and then jumped down and walked along the top board on the fence. 


Cleo lived in the barn with Mama and Teenie for the last two years.  Either Teenie, who has a notorious temper, or Bob, the (former) Porch Cat, now laying on my kitchen table as I type this... has run her out. 
She eats at the fence daily, and sneaks into the yard to eat dry food in the garage.  She is so beautiful, and my heart is breaking for her.  She sleeps under Troy's shed or under the implements. 
I am hoping we can get the whole situation rectified before cold sets in. 

This week, Troy and Kathy gifted me with this: 


Friends, I no longer can anything, so I passed most of this along to the Manus family, whose sheep come here.  Ben, the middle brother, has been my stalwart helper doing heavy yard work for the last three years.  He left yesterday for college in Arizona for his sophomore year, and it's likely he will do summer studies next year and won't come home.  I am hoping his younger brother Isaiah will be able to help me. I have been so grateful to have Ben's help for these last few years. 

Those tiny tomatoes had the best taste ever... and I saved a bunch back to make nachos today. 

Troy and Kathy's daughter Sarah has a one acre garden at her place... and Kathy has been working in it constantly, even in the heat.  They had a wonderful yield this year. 


I know you all want to know the upshot of the Great Tank Blowout. 

It took four phone calls to get the company to get out here and put a new gauge on and check the tank for leaks.  I called the provider I used at my old Calamity Acres in Kansas City, Kansas, and made arrangements to switch tanks out and go with his service.  
The driver dropped the old tank out by the gate and it was picked up a week later. 

My neighbor Troy did the same. 


Last week, in the dreadful heat, was the Leavenworth County Fair. 

Here comes a group leading their bucket calves along the walkway. 

I will have to say entries were down, and it was not just me who noticed. 
I went at midday on purpose, to avoid the crowds because ... covid has reared it's head in our area again.  Just being cautious. 


This was the champion market ewe that Isaiah showed, and will be coming here this week. 
She's a beautiful girl. 


There were some beautiful goats. 


Very few bunnies... maybe thirty... were on display, and those included cages for sale.  I will give the bunny parents much credit, though... because they had fans set up every three cages and the bunnie's fur was literally blowing in the wind. 


There were some beautiful quilts on display, but overall, 
entries in all these categories appeared to be down. 

When my sister was alive, she often entered quilted goods in the fair competition. 




Coco has become almost an indoor-only cat.  She came from a feral colony, this is a huge about-face for her.  Every once in a while, she lays on the back porch for a little while.  It was NOT 115 that day, unless that was the heat index! 


The flowers are still looking good, because I have literally watered them sometimes twice a day. 

Thank God my well has not had any problems since earlier in the summer. 


I planted my tubs and troughs this year with either wildflower mixes or hummingbird mixes. 
I honestly do not see hummers around them, but I have very few around my feeder, either.  I am taking that feeder down daily and putting up a clean one, the few I am seeing are almost ready to leave. 

Here is what I have to say about the mixes... they have been glorious but they must be watered heavily.  Deadheading the zinnias can be onerous... I need to do it today again, in fact.  I have decided that I am going to cut the deck containers in half next year, and plant lower-growing flowers in these troughs. 

They have been beautiful, I have to admit. 



That's amaranth behind the portulaca... I had not grown in it in years.  

It has looked good, but it has been attacked by the Japanese beetles badly.



My mom could not grow anything.  She marveled that I could.  

She loved cypress vine, and I try to plant it every year in her honor.  



 

It ain't Kansas if there isn't a sunflower or two! 


That's all, folks, thanks for bearing with me.  I'll try to post again 

in a week or so. 


 

 


















 

3 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    COVID is showing signs of ramping up again here, too... good to remember all the precautions! Your flowers are glorious and I too hope that the younger brother will take up some of the assitance work on your acres. ... autumn is on the way! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. my garden has been pretty awful this year due to the heat. i water and water and water but it doesn't replace rain. hopefully we are getting some tomorrow. it's been 10 days with no rain and very little when we had it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard they cancelled the State Horse show here this past weekend because of the excessive heat. OMG! On that concrete with metal buildings....they needed to. Cats have their order and it must be followed. If she doesn't stand up for herself, they will rule her.

    I haven't been to a state fair in years.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!