Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Even More Heat

Heat has become the new normal here in Kansas lately. 


The sheep came back just in time for the heat.  They are grazing in the early morning and the late evening, and at night.  
They have been doing okay in the heat of the day, and believe me, it's been hot.  It got to 100 yesterday, with a "feels like" of 124. 


I try to keep their pools filled with clean, cold water... and the swimming pool that is their drinking backup is in the shade, and the area all around it is kept wet and cool... about six of them lay there in the shade every afternoon.  

So far, the chickens have survived, but egg production has gone down to two or three a day. 
I did lose one bird in the hot spell three weeks ago... but so far, no more. 
I check them frequently during the day.  About 5, I put frozen bottles in their fountains with fresh water, but frankly... today it will be six before I do that, because I am leaving them out later.   I'm letting them choose when to go back in the hot hen houses. 


Mamita was enjoying the fan and the cool floor in the shop. 

Mama was the mother (now neutered) of the kitten litter that was born here.  They are all in rescue now. 

She never got bigger than a teenage kitten herself. 

I don't even shut the shop door at night,  they have to have some air flow, along with their fan. 


That is NOT a cat on the porch of the big hen house! 


The same camera caught this picture I was so glad to see.  That's Diamond Lil from Kitty Cat Connection, she is truly the most feral of any cat that was let loose here. 
She will not let anyone come near her, and I honestly thought she had disappeared, I had not seen her in so long.  She was out of luck... I take the food up at night... so I am hoping she is eating in the garage during the day, when I don't see her. 

She is a dilute calico. 


Here is Bob looking in the window at me.  He wants to come in and be on my lap. 
Bob is still half feral... he and Coco cannot be together, she hates him. 
What happens is one must go to my room and be locked up, while the other is in. 
Last night, Bob was in my room and ... still playing roughly... bit me hard, breaking the skin on the back of my left hand.  I'll be watching it for a few days to make sure I don't have a problem there. 
He was ushered out with a bowl of food onto the back deck, and did not come back in until early this morning.  He is our right now, under the deck where it is cool. 


Every year, I like to grow something a little different. 
This year, I grew wildflower mixes in the various planters I have. 

I have some opinions about them after the summer has passed. 

They have been WAY too water-dependent... and the zinnias, frankly, while always some of my favorite flowers... have been a pain to deadhead.  Notice I took this from far away!  I need to spend 30 minutes deadheading later today, that's how bad it is. 

All those spent flowers get carted to the compost heap. 
I used to save all the seeds, I no longer do. 

I saved balsam seeds for years, and my porch planter balsam is half the size of the balsam in the planters that I planted this year. 


That's balsam on the patio, and the deck balsam is about half that size. 


I do love that there are tiny wildflowers in the mixes.  I love them. 


And I am seeing butterflies. 



The bed of sunflowers I envisioned did not happen.  I had about eight come up, that's it.  That lovely orange one was in the middle and is just blooming.  

I am going to find a different place to plant them next year. 

The problem with sunflowers has always been that their root balls take up so much room. 


Another example of a wildflower in one of the mixes. 

The only tomato I grew this year was this red grape, and it has been very prolific. 


I have huge, fat milkweed pods this year! 


That's my sage bed, taken on one of the rainy days we had.  


There's little Pip on the front porch of the big hen house.... Sunday morning, she squatted down when she came out, and kind of sat there for a minute.  I looked when she moved and she had stopped, laid an egg, and then went on down the steps! 

Everyone try to get through the heat-rain-smoke as best you can... fall is coming! 










































 

4 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    There is no heat wave this side to deal with, just endless moisture! Such an uneven climate. Feels like autumn already... keep enjoying those sunsets! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am SO ready for fall. it is too darn hot to go outside in the afternoons and we have had so little rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your heat. Going to be 104 today and 107 tomorrow here in Mississippi.

    Glad you caught a picture of Diamond Lil. She must know where the food is because she is still hanging around.

    I don't dead head my zinnas. They still bloom their heads off enough that I love growing them because they are so easy.

    Take care and stay safe in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for providing such a great resource

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!