Sunday, January 8, 2023

First Week Under Our Belts

The first week of 2023 is safely past.... and all is well.  




I noticed Friday that there are buds on the maple tree! 

I have had so many small and large branches come off this tree during the fall that I am going to have it assessed when the tree eaters come to take down the saplings in the pasture. 


It's been cold, but not so cold that Bullseye spent hours doing this.  He is outside almost all the time. 
I was under the weather this week, necessitating a trip to the doctor and meds, but am on the mend.  I just took it a little easier. Bully was glad to help me stay in one place. 


Zoey was glad to sleep late several mornings. 


And I found Alien, the feral who has been coming and going, in the garage one morning. 
I have a theory... I think he lives around here and just stops by to eat, because he is in good flesh, and he disappeared entirely during the terrible weather at Christmas. 

I thought it would be interesting to look back at the end of the year from years past. 


12/31/17 had a full moon, just like this week's.  

(ours this week came a few nights after). 


On 12/31/18, I still had Donald and at least two Duckingtons.  How I miss them!  I miss ducks! 


On 12/31/19, I saved this picture of two big raccoons on my porch. I am not longer leaving food out on the porch to put a stop to this.  The skunk's suffering last week led me to believe it is better for the wildings not to become dependent. 


On 12/31/2020, my beautiful Rusty was still coming here daily and nightly.  He has moved over the road to my friend's house, but has now disappeared from there.  What a beauty he was, but truly feral, even though he was  raised by me as a kitten. 


Last year on the 31st, I posted pictures of the wonderful train in the front yard of one of our National Agricultural Center volunteers... this was his labor of love.  Sadly, he was not able to display his train, the Seven Dwarf passengers, and the Grinch sneaking up on them this year.  I was privileged to see it. 


This is what the feeding area looked like on January 2, last year. 


And this year! 

Speaking of crows... 


These guys came down to eat sunflower seed yesterday, and I took their pictures through my front door.  The funny thing is, I can go out and take pictures of them, they actually don't fly unless I get within six feet.  They are such beautiful birds.



Mama and Cleo are beauties, too.  The shop is staying nice and toasty for them, since I put plastic across the door opening and put two small heaters in there.  

Teenie also sleeps in there, but spends hours outside daily. 


Granddaughter Paiton and her bestie got a late Christmas gift from me of a short day camp and ride at a local stable.  She was so glad to be back in the saddle again, even if it was a Western saddle.  They had a blast in the chilly temps that day. 

(I rode Western and English for many years... Paiton had two years of English lessons, not a slam) 


That's about the wildest thing I have seen in the shop this week.  I only have seen one raccoon in there, one time.  The water bowl has only been dirty once.  As the day gets warmer, I will have to change it daily. 


I hope we have many more beautiful sunsets this year. 

Happy New Year! 








 

























 


 

3 comments:

  1. i miss riding so much. i always road english except for one time when i road western an was amazed by how easy it was. what a mild winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you. I like all your pictures and hope you are now feeling much better. I'm on vacation right now in sunny and warm Florida. This my last week to spend before going home to the cold Ohio again and I'm not looking forward to it. Hope we get an early Spring ! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    A nice little look back at previous years... and I love how Mama and Cleo look resigned to now being semi-house cats! All the best for 2023, Mary Ann, and I wish you many of those gorgous skies. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!