Thursday, October 10, 2019

Winter is Coming!

I just looked at the weather on my phone, and we have a FREEZE warning 
for tomorrow night, Friday, into Saturday morning! 

Yikes!

I need to unhook all the hoses, and will cover the 
mums I just planted on Monday on the deck, in hopes of saving them. 


I bought four big rounded mums from a local 
charity, as a fund raiser.  

They are a beautiful color of red, 
but sadly, I found them to be very root-bound. 


Here they are before I planted them. 


I went through and pulled out a bunch of the deck flowers, they are fading fast. 

I cut those darn poplar seedlings down, I am convinced that is what was 
growing in my rectangular planter, and I KNOW I did not buy 
poplar tree seeds. 


What the HECK? 

I pulled out all the woody stems, then decided to dump the whole container.  I'll plant it next year with 
something very low-growing. 


There are still a bunch of tomatoes on the vines in the garden, 
but I did not pick them.... I did bring in three from the deck before 
I pulled those plants out, but they have not ripened in the window. 


I have cut the yard for the last time, and most of the pasture.  I had only one small section to do down there, but I am going to let it go. 

Next year, I'll keep it all trimmed down, I did not this year. 

My helpers are always interested in what I am doing. 


We have had some beautiful fall mornings, but it seems like it went from 90 degrees (wait, it DID).... 
.... to mid-sixties and even lower.  

We have had rain off and on, too. 


Granddaughter Paiton is back on Ice, her original mount, since 
her regular ride Appy was sold a few weeks ago.  

Ice is big enough that Paiton has trouble getting his feet up to clean, so Grandma leaned in and lifted for her this last weekend. 


I need to get a close up of her, I'm really glad she is still riding, it's been a year and a half. 

She is turning eleven this weekend, we will see if this carries over another year, or boys enter the picture. 

I hope she sticks with it. 


I was going to use that bag of potting soil to plant the mums, but 
found flowers growing out of a small hole in it, they were from seed dropped by plants on the table next to them!  Wow! 

They will die tomorrow night, but still, it was remarkable. 

I am going to collect seed from the balsam today, so I can plant it next year. 

I wrote last week about the ducks and part of the chickens being gone. 

My chores are about a third of what they were, I did not realize how much time I was spending with the ducks.  I do miss them, but I also have spent half of what I was spending on chicken feed now. 

I have decided to put Singleton and his girls back in the old henhouse, where they lived before.  Yes, it means I have to cross the yard, but they will be comfortable there, and my idea is NO ROOSTER FIGHTS. 


These two (Fritzi is up on the steps). 

I am struggling with their weight loss journey, 
they both need to lose and I am not good at keeping them on the straight and narrow. 

We are still trying. 

That's about the best I can say right now. 


Another shot of Toto in their final song at the Uptown on the 27th, 
what a fun night it was for me. 

Grandson Chris and I are going to go to a concert next week together. 
(If I can find someone to lock up the chickens that night!) 














7 comments:

  1. wow...you are getting cold sooner than we are. we really haven't had cold weather yet. the nights are just starting to cool off. the weather sure isn't what it used to be anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    The chill is properly starting to arrive this side - with LOTS of the damp stuff. High winds too. bbrrrr... I love balsam, but don't think I realised it had seeds. Always just bought new plants each year! Trying to diet pets is one of the most difficult jobs in the world I reckon... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Paiton that horses are something she can count on........boys not so much. So if she loves riding then she needs to stick with it. I personally think 11 is way too young to be thinking about those stinkin' boys.

    Hope y'all make it to the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mums and get a few every year. They are so bright and cheery. I will mow the yard yet until close to Thanksgiving as I use it to mulch the leaves . No putting it away yet. Glad your being good to yourself and making your duties lighter. It' s wonderful to have more time for other things you might want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a chilly night last night, but nothing close to a freeze warning. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos and great post. Have a fantastic rest of your day.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you've been busy, Mary Ann!!! We've had a long hot summer here... temps were still in the 90's all through September, but we're finally getting a break. It's been more fall-ish for the past few days... very nice. Don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're facing our first freeze tonight, Mary Ann. I cut the few zinnias still blooming and big stalks of dill and all the tarragon to bring in. Hoping the rest of the herbs will make it if I cover them. There are hundreds of little green tomatoes left but I decided not to try to pick all of them. I am very glad you don't have as much to do as you once did but I'm sure you do miss your ducks. I'm always partial to ducks! I hope Paiton does stick to horses, maybe they'll be a lifelong love of hers. Have you had much snow yet? Our daughter sent us a picture the other day of the 6 inches they got in Montana. Beautiful stuff but I'll be glad to wait a while for some here. You take care!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!