Wednesday, October 3, 2018

What Goes On At Night

If you have been reading my blog lately, or seen my Facebook or Instagram 
posts, you know I am having a serious raccoon problem. 

Actually, there may have been one in the past, too, but I was 
unaware of it. 

However....



This, my friends, is a pile of raccoon poop on the front porch of the Hen Spa. 

I was reminded by Kim, a friend who is a vet tech, that raccoons carry a particularly nasty form of worm. 

I cleaned that up and sprayed the area down with disinfectant, and am happy to say 
there has been no further pooping. 

I spent a lot of money on the raccoon-proof cat feeder in the pasture... 
to no avail, the little bandits soon found a way to shimmy up the pole and get into the feeder. 

There are still two ferals eating in it, and I am putting feed out during the day and night there, 
however, I am only putting out dry food now. 

So...

I am going to show you a series of pictures taken last night. 


Here I am at 7:15, putting out the wet food.  Dry food has been out all day, 
because remember, I got the cats on camera last week coming in the day time. 

Now, the camera is making it look lighter out than it actually is, at 7:15 now it is very much dusk. 


Not sure what triggered the camera here, a minute later. 


At 7:25, Harley (Harlequin) showed up to eat.  I am sure she 
got all the wet food.  (note ducks in background)

You see it is well and truly dark. 


7:39, right on cue... comes the first raccoon. 

(and look at that temperature for October 2nd!) 


By the time Spooky or Rusty (hard to tell in the dark) got there at 8:49, there was no 
food left. 

There WAS dry food in the pasture feeder. 

Until two nights ago, I also had a small bowl of feed on the front porch of the Hen Spa (where the poop was), but I am no longer putting it there. 

So... they also eat bird seed, and I usually see one about 9 PM on the platform, feeding, 
you know... where they left this last week: 


Poop in the seed. 

Now I am cleaning the platform off at night, and they can 
scavenge for whatever fell to the ground.  I do leave enough 
for the cardinals, the last feeders, to have something... but 
the majority of seed is going back into the bin til morning. 

(That was the cheap seed I bought when I could not get to Valley Feed 
last week to get my normal seed). 

So... I am going to try, starting today, to feed only during the daytime, and hope that the cats adjust. 

I hate for the cats to think I have abandoned feeding them, but frankly, the number of 
raccoons is getting crazy... and you know I am not going to kill them, if you read this blog. 

I have the camera on today to see if any of the cats come by.  I also will leave the food 
out until 7:30, usually Harley and Spooky come by that early, and both of the boys (black cats) know there is food in the pasture feeder. 

I'll keep the camera up several days and several nights.  

The raccoons are still going to come after the duck feed and bird seed, 
but I believe I'll be spending less on cat food, soon. 

I love experiments. 









8 comments:

  1. I suspect the sheeting at the bottom of your feeder isn't deep enough or it isn't metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri.... it is metal sheeting... and I thought at 8 inches it was long enough... nope!

      Delete
  2. Please post a picture of your cat feeder in the pasture.

    Hopefully, the cats will adjust to the new schedule. If you feed them their wet and holler "kitty"......then they should learn that it is feeding time.

    Mine stampede to the porch when it's time for their food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    Racoons have to live too and a recent program here experimented with racoons in Toronto; turns out they are even smarter than we all thought already, having learned to work in teams. I wish the best in your own 'scientific endeavour'! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take up the dry cat food after dinner. Don't need to be feeding all the wildlife. Trail cams are invaluable, aren't they???!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those raccoons think they are meant to eat there....Ha! Hopefully you will discourage them by not having any food out at night and look for new feeding grounds. It may take a few days for the cats to adjust but they'll come when they are fed. I had indoor cats years ago and only fed them once a day in the morning. They liked to nibble and it seemed the food lasted most of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Peterof was open but we didn't have time to go in it. Your feeding dish is busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is some crazy night action at your house!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!