Monday, June 17, 2024

June 16 - HOT

Somehow, before it's officially summer... we have descended into the heat of. 

We are still getting a respite at night, but the temps are only falling to the low seventies instead of the fifties of a few weeks ago.  It's enough to give the animals time to recover from the heat of the day.  I also run fans in all the hen houses. 


These guys are going home today for a few weeks to give the pasture time to recover. 
(She is rubbing herself under the little red hen house, the only one not in use). 

In a way I'll be glad, because I have made myself crazy making sure there is water for everyone to drink here this last week.  With two goats only, that load will lighten. 
I'll miss them very much, though. 


These naughty, naughty Wyandotte girls. 
They are the very last to go in at night, because the oldest Cochin hen drives them out.  I was completely out of patience with everyone last night, it was hot and I was REALLY tired, and I finally went out there and was ready to lock the hen up in a brooder pen, and they were all in but one.  She soon went in, and everyone went up to roost.  Whew. 


Doug is a captive now, with the Lavender Orps and the Cuckoo Marans.  I did lift him out the other day, and his spur accidentally caught my hand, and the darn sore is swollen.  I am on penicillin from a sheep hoof scrape, so I am hoping it does the trick for the second.  I am diabetic... the sheep scrape is 17 days old today and still not healed. 

He is doing a really good job teaching this little group... and... in another week, like next Monday... I'll take the Ex pen down, and they will be free to go out in the yard with the others.  They have only one hop into their house, not like the steps of the big hen house. 

That ex pen is going to move out into the yard to be a shaded pen for Chico, his big pen is in the sun most of the day. 

The dog pen to which the ex pen abuts is going to be moved over, too. 


About half of the lavenders are frizzled, which I love.  The cockerel is. 


These are group four birds in their attached pen... Putih Ayam Cemanis, and LaFleche. 


There are three LaFleche cockerels and only two pullets, darn it. 


One of the two pullets.  I swear they look like little ravens! 


Cleo waited for me in the barn door as I brought her canned food out last night. 
The others in there don't eat canned. 


Mama is one of them.  
She was the mother of the four kittens (spayed after they were adopted). I looked back through old pictures yesterday and those kittens are two years old this month. 


What would a post be without my beautiful boy? 

Doodle, the goat belonging to my sheep boarder friends, is going to stay when they go home today to keep Archie company. 


I call this Indio girl Big Foot.  She is the tallest of all the birds, even the Indio cockerel. 
She will come up to me and look at me while I talk to her, as if she is listening to everything. 


There is the cockerel on the right, and one of the other pullets. 


Most of the milkweed has gone by, but this, in the fence, is still blooming.  It smells so wonderful 


The June candles from last week have also almost gone by... other wildflowers are about to bloom. 


There is still some on the east side of the road. 


And the glorious "ditch" lilies are blooming now, too. 


This is the comm tower I can see from my bedroom windows.  

It is in the undeveloped 26 acres across from me, where Chico went the day he disappeared.  That land is for sale, but supposedly does not have enough water to support more than a house on it. 
At some point it will go for development... I hope I am not here to see it, I like it wild. 

Try to stay safe and cool, everyone. 

Post Script, added at 6:07.  I was working on this entry this morning and was overcome by nausea and fatigue.  I knew I was dehydrated, but did not realize how badly.  I was okay after drinking a lot of water and a short nap.  It was a reminder that we all need to hydrate regularly, all day long in this heat.  

The sheep did, indeed, get picked up, and Doodle stayed behind to be Archie's companion.  She is NOT happy. 
We will see what happens.  

If she does not settle down, her owners will come get her and I'll get a young wether to keep him company.  She had been with the sheep since a tiny doeling. 




































 

3 comments:

  1. Those Indios are the strangest-looking chickens! I think I'll stick to the more common breeds; they look prehistoric enough. 😉 Michelle at Boulderneigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You most definitely need to take care of yourself Mary Ann. I hope she will settle or you can get a replacement that is happy with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might try "mowing" your milkweed and see if it regrows for late summer butterflies. It might not bloom again (not sure), but at least there will be fresh leaves for caterpillars :-).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!