Friday, August 14, 2020

Summer is Waning

Well, I see Blogger has changed their set up again, and 
it's going to take a few posts to get used to it.  It doesn't seem you can set to type IN the center, with a centered post, without having to justify in each sentence.  We will see. 

Summer is waning, friends.  I know it doesn't seem like it, but it is.  Yes, the heat continues on,but subtle little signs are all around us.  Leaves have begun falling... not just the walnut tree leaves, that start in late July, but other trees have begun dropping.  I am still mowing weekly, but not twice a week, as I had to for a while there.  I noticed yesterday that the Virginia creeper in my front fence line is starting to turn red, that means the poison ivy won't be far behind, or the sumac on the banks out in front. 
It took me a few days to realize, but the red-winged blackbirds have gone now... and were followed by the brown-headed cowbirds.  The Great Migration has begun, but there is a LOT less squabbling at the flat feeder, I can tell you. 
The raccoons are frustrated with me... I literally take down everything... hanging finch feeder, suet, squirrel feeders, and I clean off the flat feeder in the evening.  They are getting only the seed that has spilled during the day, and are digging up the area under the feeder.  This morning I laughed when I went out.... they are definitely excavating to China for anything they can find. 

This picture was actually taken a few days ago, this morning it is a huge circle and everything dug up until close to the post in the middle.  I know they are VERY frustrated. 


One of my favorite birds glided over the deck the other day, and I ran for the camera!

Here it is this morning, as I left for the Ag Hall, in the horaltic pose, drying its' wings: 




Most of you know that I foster-failed with Snowy, who is seventeen.  She had surgery a few weeks ago, and a cancerous mammary tumor was removed.  She is still recovering from the surgery. 
I can see her moving slower.... I don't know how many months we have left together, but she 
has been a delightful little dog.  And... to those who adopt... it took Snowy almost six months before she was really comfortable here, and comfortable completely with me.  Don't despair. 


This looked like a juvenile cardinal on the feeder, and in fact, the presence of the female led me to believe it.  He looks like he is waiting for mom to feed him from the smorgasbord.  

Hemorocallis "Stella De Oro" is reblooming on the deck.  One or two of the others is still blooming, I had fantastic luck with daylilies on the deck this year.  (yep, that's a weed, I'm waiting to see what blooms). 
So, let's talk about gardens.  Keith built an arbor, almost as soon as we moved here, and then started building a wooden fence around the area where we were going to garden.  Along the front part of that fence, he built four thirty-foot long beds.  The first, closest to the house, fell under a maple tree. Don't do that folks, I'm telling you.  Anyway, the first was built using lovely stones, but was expensive and labor intensive (grandson Chris built the wall).  After this, Keith used landscape timbers. 
Two beds, the front two, were planted with perennials and bushes.  The back two... one was our potato bed, and the other, except for four or five mum plants, was never really planted and always had to be kept down as far as weeds. 
Here is the south of the arch front bed in its' glory, about 2011:  
In that  picture, you can see the arbor in the middle, and some of the bushes.... there was an equal bed out of sight  on the north side of the arch.  In the distance is the hoop house.... and the patio is already in, so it has to be 2011 or even 2012.  I was so proud of these beds, they were really glorious. 
In the last two years, I have pulled or had them pulled out.  I really could not keep up with them, and it was very, very hard to get a cultivator in to keep them churned up, not to mention all the mulch.  
Here is the north bed, the one remaining one, today, I literally took this picture thirty minutes ago: 
Oh yes, it really looks that bad.  There are still some decent perennials in it, but I cannot even give them away, I have offered and offered.  The gardeners my age are as tired as I am .  Twice this year, I had this bed in some sort of order... but you see, it is full of saplings.  I cut them down, they grow back up.  I actually put five Gorilla cart loads of mulch on it in the spring, but... it has just gotten away.  Last week, I told my wonderful yard helper, Benjamin, that I am going to pull this one out, too, and asked him to plan a day when he can remove and stack the stone border. For now, I am literally walking past it and trying not to look, and yes, it breaks my heart.  Next year I will be gardening on the deck and maybe the patio only. 
I had many more pictures to show you, but it seems this new update of Blogger will not let me upload pictures directly from my phone.  In the old days, ten years ago when I first started blogging, I carried a small point and shoot camera in a pocket, ALWAYS.  I'm going to have to do that again, I think.  In order to post a picture from my phone now, I will have to send it to my email, and save it to the computer.  Yep, a pain in the patootie. 
So far, the sheep are still here.... I know the three cattle at my neighbor's are going home this weekend, but I believe the sheep will be here for a few more weeks, the pasture is holding up remarkably well.  I love watching them... I'll try to sit down there tonight and take a few pictures of them.  I do keep their water changed during the day so that they have something cool to drink, but other than that, their young owners take care of them.  I have all the fun and none of the hard work! 
I am still seeing big snakes daily, again... the pictures are on my phone.  I'll get one of the small cameras out today and get it fired up. 

Guess what?  I found 'em, good heavens you would think I would be computer savvy at this point after eleven years. 

However, it stops at July 28.  

I saw this snake this morning, though.  
And now, all of the sudden, I am back in the middle of the column, what gives? 

(Blogger, that's what gives. If I were monetizing this blog, I 
would go to WordPress, but I think I would lose eleven years worth) 


I end with one more garden picture, the raised beds.  I planted pumpkins and summer squash in mid-July.... I picked four BEAUTIFUL squash this week, and I believe I'll get a dozen pumpkins.  I know there may not be trick or treat this year, but I'll have some for the deck, and then they can be fed to a friend's hogs.  I even planted some more zinnias (on the left)... they are blooming now.  

Yes, Covid 19 is still in our area, including Tonganoxie, the little town whose address I share. 
Yes, I wear a mask everywhere I go, religiously. 
I believe it will be a year before we are back to normal, and we will have further loss of precious lives. 
I try to remain optimistic and hope for the best.  I pray.  I urge all of my friends to do so. 

Yes, it has touched a family of someone very near and dear to me, and right now they are 
praying for their own fifteen year old who has been stricken.  It's here and it's real, friends. 

Remain as positive as you can, and we will get through this. 

I'll figure Blogger out and update again, soon. 

As always, thank you so much for visiting Calamity Acres. 

7 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    firstly, well done for sticking to Blogger's changes; I'm finding each time I go to post there is some other tweak... but it will settle down eventually.

    Secondly, well done on minimising the racoon raiding; and it may seem odd, but I've been enjoying your snake images!

    Thirdly, well done on providing a safe haven for Snowy's twilight; it can be heartbreaking but also so rewarding.

    Fourthly... be safe, be very very safe... much love, YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking some getting use to the new blogger. I pull weeds non stop in my raised beds. I'm scared to add new soil for fear of adding more weed seeds back into them.

    The raccoons and possums have been out of luck around the house because I quit feeding the 2 porch cats. They are in prison in the cat shed now and the critters cannot get to their food.

    They did wipe out every pawpaw on my tree. And are getting into the pears now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see a nice, long post from you! I declined the "new" Blogger; I have enough to deal with thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending your friends dealing with Covid POTP.
    I didn't want to move to new blogger but they said we must by the 24th so I am also learning! At least they updated it. There had been talk they were going to end it altogether.
    Give Snowy all the love. Enjoy her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to see you newsy post. I would think giving up those beds is going to save you a lot of work. I've only had flower boxes on the porch for a few years now as I couldn't handle the tasks I'm content now with the little I have and sometimes it takes a lot of my energy just to get out an water them. Getting older is not for sissies. Yes, the days are beginning to get shorter and before we know it fall will be here in all it's glory. I just try to take it all one day at a time and enjoy it while it's here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always glad to see a post from you. Like you I find I am wanting/able to do less with gardening, be it flowers or veggies. I'm planning in my head a rework of at least one of my flower beds for this Fall. Hope the weather cooperates. It's just too hot to do anything right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spoke too soon when my first two posts with new Blogger went fine but this last time I had a little trouble with the left margin not going back as far as it was supposed to be after I had finished using the quote (") icon. I load pics from my computer so that has not been a problem and I think everything looks a little better and more professional with the new setup but maybe that's my imagination.

    Mary Ann, we stopped putting food out at night too since we now have 3 skunks coming to feed! They're so cute, all with different markings, that we hated to stop but were afraid it would be a stinky problem sometime.

    My prayer group has been praying for a 14 year old girl with covid and pneumonia but thank God she is getting better. It does hurt all ages! I'm so thankful that my two young granddaughters are going to school remotely at home!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!