Monday, August 27, 2018

Catching Up is Hard to Do

I honestly don't know where the time goes. 

And in the meantime, since my last post on the 10th... I have turned another year. 


We have had some hot days.  I honestly don't remember Lilly ever doing this, by the way.  Ranger was our water baby. 


I still have a hen laying in a planter on the deck... see the potato growing under the sweet potato vines? 


Some naughty sheep have been on the deck. 


Singleton has turned into a beautiful cockerel, and Midnight, 
the purebred black Cochin cockerel and he have both found their crows. 

There is one more cockerel, Biddy's second and third chicks of course 
were a cockerel and pullet.  I really don't know what to do with him. 

I am going to move them from their small brooder pen to the little red hen house today.  
It means one more location to feed/water.  
They are growing fast enough, though, that they need the space. 


Uh oh.  They turned around when I told them NO. 

I am in a quandary with the sheep.  Their owner has not 
come for three weeks, except once or twice to let them 
out long before I get up in the morning.  (He has to be at work at 6 AM). 
He has not brought food in that time.  I am getting the raw end of the 
deal, but I love the sheep... however.... I am about at my limit, I admit it. 
Repairs need to be made on the barn... he brought wood months ago for it... and 
now a fence post is loose and the wire loose in the corral.  Something is 
going to happen, soon. 



I have been getting about 15 or 16 eggs a day, but I am having to look everywhere for them. 
I did get 23 yesterday. 


Jester always seems to find the sunbeam. 


We have had some rain and cooler temps, and the flowers in my planters are coming back for one last show.  Even the alyssum is blooming again. 

I notice all the stores have mums in now, though, and I confess I have already bought some. 


A year ago on Saturday, my kitchen looked like this.  
It was stomach-churning for me, the old kitchen was a mess, 
and we lived with it for years. 

It has been such a pleasure to live here the last year, and yes, it has been 
almost a year since I moved back. 

I sat on the deck the other night and read for an hour, putting the book down frequently to look out at the chickens and ducks.  I am so blessed. 


It would be very, very hard to give this up. 

I end this post with a short video I took the other night, it was not even dark yet. 
Coyotes were on the other side of my fence line. 
 If you turn the volume up, you can hear all the coyotes and 
an owl in the 26 acre wild area across the road. 



Someone asked me if I get scared out here... sometimes, I do, I admit it.... 
but for the most part... I am used to it, and I always have the sheriff on 
speed-dial! 











6 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    golly, a year already? Congrats on that and the recent birthday. That sheep owner is taking advantage though... Nothing beats sitting and admiring the place of one's heart-labour! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never want to leave our place. Golly, a year. Goodness time is flying by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, I had to leave our Acreage. It was hard to do, and I really miss all the critters

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...a year already? i still think it was a great idea to move back there and i'm glad you are happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a fast year for you with many changes but all in all I think good ones. We enjoyed a few cooler days last week but so far this week the heat is terrible and the humidity even worse. On the bright side nothing ever stays the same and everything constantly changes. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely, that video, and I do hear the coyotes.
    Nannie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!