Saturday, April 7, 2018

I Spy


Gray and white feral 

RUSTY



Harlequin
(Harley) 


Spooky, brother of Rusty and Harley. 

Rusty has a rusty-appearing collar instead of all jet black. 


Grey tabby 


Not a cat 


What's going on outside. 


And this, my friends, is how they are coming in and out of the old henhouse. 

Now, I have a quandary.  You see, the possums can't enter or exit this way, so 
the old henhouse is safe from them. 

The raccoons and cats clamber right up the screen door, whose screen, as you see, is mostly out. 

Now... I could fix that door.  You see, I had a new inside door made last fall, it is propped open. 

I could put the henhouse back into production.  

It aggravates me to come in every morning to see that the raccoons have eaten all the dry cat food, 
and dirtied the water.   (It takes me about two minutes to clean up). 

IF I close that door tightly, I could leave some food in the porch (covered) for the animals during the summer.  

I worry about the cats in the winter, several times in bitter cold I went in to find the older ferals, the gray and white and the tabby, in the straw.  The gray and white will let me come near to feed, 
the tabby runs in a panic. 

Often, Harley and Spooky are waiting for me in the morning, as if to say 
"Where is our breakfast?"  because of course, the raccoons leave 
nothing most nights. 

The cats DO get to eat in the evenings, before the raccoons get there. 

So... I'm in a quandary.  I want the ferals to feel safe and have a place to eat 
where they are not in danger.  Meanwhile, I cope with the raccoons. 

(trap and move them, you say.... I don't think I could do it far enough or 
fast enough, and I AM NOT KILLING ANYTHING, go ahead and 
laugh, and don't even suggest it. 


5 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    &*> Love this series of your rogue visitors... and totally understand your quandary. Don't have anything I can add which will help I fear - except I know that somehow you'll work it out, cuz you've shown us plenty times that you can!!! Perhaps some dedicated St Francis prayers will bring some light? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you only feed in the mornings when raccoons and opossums aren’t around? The cats would learn to eat then. One farmer I met showed me his cat setup in his barn full of turkeys. Same setup as you but he made his barn cats have one area of the room and put straw in rafters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend told me raccoons can climb but they can't jump. Cats can jump. He feeds feral cats on top of an unclimbable plastic barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking of getting hubby to build 2 wild cat feeders. A single post with a platform about the height of a countertop. Then you run a sheet of metal around the edge of the platform. The coons and possums can climb up the post, but the metal keeps them from grabbing the lip of the platform and pulling themselves up to the food.

    Mine will be in the yard, so I'll get him to put on 2 sides and a roof. Leaving 2 sides open so they can jump in and out. They will be able to bolt out if they feel danger.

    I just need to find 2 smaller gravity feeders to put into them so that the food won't get wet.

    We are thru trapping raccoons and possums right now. Coons birth in april and may. We will resume in fall and continue transporting them to the farm where we hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your caring for the ferals. They need someone like you to look out for them. I see Roberta's suggestion, which sounds really good to me. I completely agree - I'd never kill one animal for any reason... so it seems that ingenuity is key. I know that you'll figure it out!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!