Friday, March 2, 2018

Friyay!

I just this moment realized I have not posted since Monday, it seems like the week 
flew by. 


Spring is springing even more. 

We have had a chain of lovely days this week, except for rain on Wednesday.  That was okay, because 
we need it. 


Tuesday afternoon, I got five Cinnamon Queens from a young man here in 
Leavenworth County.  They are 18 months old, but still laying, and in good shape. 


There is a sample of their eggs, from this morning.  Nice. 

My plan is to open the door of the feed room tonight, and let them mingle with the flock after 
I have shut the pophole door.  
Tomorrow, they can go out into the free world (and I'll pray I don't have to chase them around with a
net in the evening).  They came from a big pen, so the grass will flip them out. 


Tractor Supply is having a sale this week. 

I am stockpiling potting soil. 

I have two things to say about it.  At TSC I can literally pull up alongside the pile and 
load my bags.  I do not have to get a cart and lug that cart across a store.  
I am going back for 8 more tomorrow, while it's still on sale. 

See that large green planter to the right, you can just barely see it.  It takes two bags of potting soil, and part of a third to fill it. 

I have two more close to that size, and about 20 in smaller and medium sizes. 

So, Dennis Patton, the Johnson County Extension Agent, wrote a good article in the Kansas City Star last week, talking about the differences between potting mix and garden soil. 

I have always used garden soil in my pots... well... 98% of the time. 

Potting soil is lighter and formulated to provide nourishment for those plants 
in the pots that need good root systems to support them.  There IS a difference, 
and you see, I am now a believer. 

I have 13 bags, I am going to get at least 8 more tomorrow. 

Ferdie was a great help, as you can see. 


I'm working towards a long-term goal of having another hen house 
up and running next year... and having a bunch of brown leghorn powerhouse egg layers in it. 

I have a lot to do before then. 



Like this, only twice as much. 


In all the years we have been here, since 2005... this huge old 100 year old walnut has stood by the barn.  Its' base is shifting, causing the bark to come loose... and you see, its' arms are being truncated by the wind.  It is VERY tall.  There are no walnuts any more, and frankly, it is a danger.  So, this week, I had a tree company from Lawrence come to give me advice on it, the huge maple near the house,  three trees on the bank that have dangerous deadfall in them... and the many young trees that have grown up in the fenceline of the old henyard.  

The bid was surprisingly manageable, and lower than Keith and I had feared in the past, so... I am going to get it all done.  The company should be calling me to schedule soon... I'll take lots of pictures.  I'm leaving the chickens in their yard that day, because equipment will be going back and forth across the yard.  It is cheaper to get it all done at once, by the way. 

They will grind up everything, leaving me mulch, except for the two walnuts.  That is not good mulch. 

(the other walnut is on the bank by the road, and a dangerous limb is hanging from it.) 


This is a garage that sits near the shop/barn.  For years, we just backed the mower into it, and stuck gardening stuff in it.  You see it was full of trash.  


This is it after an hour's hard work this afternoon.  I am going to also get rid of the 
stuff you see sitting along the wall, minus a few partial bags of mulch.  See the lightbulb
hanging there in the back?  It did not come on when I pulled the string, however, I have NO idea if Keith ever replaced that bulb.  There is also a good plug next to the window at the back, that needs
screen put back in it.  

So... the east end is completely open, but the rest of the building is in good shape. 
Power is at the barn/shop right behind it.  
Remember, these two buildings went with the original house on the property, which sat just east of them.   I have already made arrangements to have them painted this spring. 
This building was used by us as a stable one winter, for Beau, our Shetland pony, and 
his little mini-mare companion, Lily. 

Why not a hen house?  The wall could be closed in....with a window for ventilation... the power restored.... a pen built out in front of it... less than putting up another building, or a radical overhaul on the old henhouse where the cats live. 
So, I'm thinking. 


I had Jester boy's portrait done this week, as I had Lilly's done two weeks ago. 

Gianna Alvarez is the artist, she is at #LittlePawPaints on Instagram.  She does a 
great job. 

I'm looking for two good frames to get these hung. 


Speaking of Jester, he has an infection right now, and has been in some 
discomfort this week.  We visited the vet today, and he is on a seven day regimen of 
antibiotics to get him all straightened out.  That will be good, as I have had to get up 
in the middle of the night, sometimes several times, to get him outside fast. 


Our beautiful moon last night. 


I caught this blue boy just right this afternoon!

8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I always find I understimate the amount of potting mix I need for my planters... We still have winter freeze going on here, so spring is still wish; but am enjoying seeing your bulbs peeking and the chooks enjoying that sunshine; the plan for the shed seems sound. Jester's portrait is very fine indeed! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the vet has Jester on antibiotics. Sending POTP he is back to 100% real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great way to use the shed. i sure wish i had fresh eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! you have been busy! Here we had snow again, March came in like a lion so nothing being done outside at all. I no longer have flower beds due to the move I made almost a year ago now. I have flower boxes on stands instead and will take your advice on the potting soil. Those eggs look wonderful ! Spring is definitely showing up at your house, it will come here too eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Jester and you will be sleeping through the night soon. How wonderful you can get your trees taken care of. Yes, walnut trees look out for themselves! Lovely portrait of Jester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have some energy back! So much to do but sounds like you are looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a wonderful portrait of Jester! Your post has us thinking springy thoughts!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought soil and some pansies and 4 other plants this weekend for my planters. I need 2 or 3 more flats, but my favorite nursery still has not gotten in all their spring plants.

    We are still having some cold weather this week. Had frost/ice on my car windows this morning. Glad I covered the 7 tomato plants up last night.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!