Saturday, December 30, 2017

The End of Another Year

If you are reading this, you are one of the lucky ones, as I am... or blessed, 
if you prefer to think of it that way. 

We have reached the end of another year.  2017, which has been 
full of disaster and despair, but also, lots of hope and kindness. 

Desperate cold has settled into the Midwest, along with the 
eastern seaboard and upper Midwest.  I have been 
preparing for it for a week. 


Jester, as you see, did not want to get up this morning.  I had just taken 
those sweatshirts out of the dryer, and he was content to just lay there 
and be warm, but to be fair, he had already been out. 

Rarely does he opt to get back into the big bed. 


It was time to pack these guys away.  I particularly loved that Santa, I 
think he embodies the spirit of Calamity Acres... welcoming 
all the creatures here.  I have a big Santa collection but no longer have the 
shelves or furniture on which to put them... so... there is more paring down to 
do in the future. 


It seems like a month ago already, but on the 23rd, son Jim and his family came to have Christmas treats. 
There I am back in the background, I was holding great-granddaughter Maci Lynn.  I am  not sure who had control of the camera. 


Maci and her mom, Maddie... Maddie has taken to motherhood like a duck to water. 

They had to leave early to go to a gender-reveal party for her best friend. 


I am on continual... I mean CONTINUAL cute overload in this house. 


This is me yesterday, trying to get some typing done.  I did not know the camera was 
laying there on, but I'm glad it was.  This happens many times. 


There is possum Fang on the deck last night, and I'll tell you something interesting.  I love trying different things.  

In the fortex to the right, there is a mixture of seeds, full peanuts, cracked peanuts, corn, etc., called "Critter Mix" that I get at the feed store.  In the darker bowl where Fang is eating, there is birdseed in a blend called "Backyard Bird", made up of two kinds of sunflower and many other seeds.  See what he is eating?  I love to learn things like that. 

The crows and squirrels will get to the critter mix. 

This is the fifth night at least I have seen NO raccoons. 


That is Spooky's tail end, Spooky, one of the feral nearly-grown kittens. 
I have not seen Harlequin for days now.  I don't know what has happened to her. 
It was suggested I check my other outer buildings, and I will, actually, in a bit. 


Here I come up on the deck this morning, lined tights under my jeans, two pairs of socks, 
two pairs of gloves and hand warmers, a shirt under my sweatshirt, my Carhartt watch cap on and my Carhartt hood on.  It's going to be like this all weekend (even worse) and I will have permanent hat hair for the next week. 

You gotta do what you gotta do, but.... I am hesitant to get any large animals because of this, it has reminded me of the drudgery. 


This is the heated water bowl in the old henhouse from which the 
feral cats drank.  It honestly looks as if no one is eating in there. 
I did bed down the goat barn, the only dog house left, and made sure the 
duck house still has good bedding... it does, and I noticed last night that 
something has slept in there. 


I quit putting food in the little red henhouse, despite the fact that the straw to either side looked as if something had slept in it... no one has eaten the food in three or four days now.  The litter box in there is no longer used, but I have left it (for now). 


This poor little girl hurts me just to look at her.  She is one of the original flock, 
now almost 2 years old... and has lost all her feathers, I literally have never had a bird moult naked. 
Because of her, I did this (and she is staying inside, wisely)


Keith and I used to hang a light in the worst of winter in the henhouses. 

This is, in fact, hanging from a rope he tied five years ago. 

It casts just enough warmth, and just far enough above the 
straw that there will (hopefully) be no fire.  Of course,
I got up to check it six times last night. 

I am praying my naked little girl, a brown Leghorn, makes it through the horrible cold coming the 
next two days.  We are supposed to have a record below zero reading on New Year's morning. 

I did let the chickens out today, however, because the sun came out and they wanted out.  
Tomorrow and Monday will be another story. 


We actually ran an electric line from the big henhouse to the little red one, the hole where the line went through is behind the pophole door.  It hung from the rafters in there, and kept one corner warm for the little birds that used to live there.  IF I were to use this, I probably would not run a line again, I think healthy birds are capable of keeping themselves warm.  However, that featherless Leghorn needed help. 


I hung this huge block of seeds from a pole this morning, 
it will be so interesting to see what goes after it.  It smelled GREAT. 

It is a new product which my feed store is carrying. 

I hope everyone has a safe New Year's Eve tomorrow, 
and are back here to see more adventures at Calamity Acres. 
I thank you again, for the ninth year, for reading about our little place, and yes, 
even though Keith is gone... it is still our little place, mine, Lilly's, Jester's, Autumn's, 
Twinkle's, and all the wild things that live here. 



9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Blessings to you Mary Ann; may you go from strength to strength at Calamity Acres! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ann, your kitchen is beautiful! I know you are enjoying the work done there. Please be careful in this cold. We're supposed to have 7 degrees Tuesday night, time to leave the faucet dripping and hope for the best and that we keep electricity on. Before next winter, definitely a gas heater to supplement.

    I just wondered about whether your dogs are given the lepto vaccine because the urine from a raccoon is what we think killed Otis and Milo. Or is lepto not a problem where you are?

    God bless you, my friend, in 2018 and always,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see you back on your little farm where you belong:) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems most of us are experiencing some very cold temps. I rarely go out these days trying to stay warm. first time in forever I even missed church this morning. Will need to go out later and clear some snow but that's about it for me.!
    I love seeing and hearing about all the critters there. You are blessed with cuteness! Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  5. May you all stay warm. Wishing you the best for 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's really cold here too mary ann! i hope your little chicken makes it too. have a very happy new year! hugs...joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is too cold! We hope it warms a bit soon. We can get the sentiment from your blog as to how much you love your home. That is such a beautiful thing! Happy New Year! May 2018 be the best year yet!

    Stay Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!
    Thanks for sharing
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!