Thursday, September 18, 2014

More of the Same

I know you are all sick of my garden work, and to tell you the truth...
so am I! 

I spent another three hours out there this morning, digging, digging, digging. 


I not only cut down the dead sunflowers... I dug out part of their roots. 


We had a little rain... and the earth is easy to turn over.  See the 
worm in that scoop?  It is full of earthworms.  This was a
mixture of dirt, straw, peat, and some manure. 

No wonder the weeds like it! 


Some of the weeds are coming out in huge clumps.  I have even dug the small trees I found out by their roots. 


I have been trying to get a picture of this foal for the last four days.  I finally stopped and took a shot today.  

The man who lives at this place used to trim our horse's hooves for us.  He raises Arabs and part-Arabs.... but over the last two years, his herd of 20 some horses was in a horribly overgrown pasture (looks like the ground above) across the road from this place.  Two weeks ago, he 
turned the horses out into that pasture... and I was really worried again.  But today, as I went by, all the horses had fresh hay bales. 


There are two Hereford cows and three Angus steers in with the horses in the big pasture.  I was so glad to see the hay put out. 


I love this display at our local grocery.  One of those gorgeous mums is coming home with us next week. 


These were the first pumpkins I have seen for sale, and you see that they are 
very reasonable! 

The last two years, pumpkins were high here. 


Our zinnias at home are still going strong, but starting to fade a little.  
I'm collecting seed now, so I'll have plenty for next year.  Next year 
they will be in the ground. 
Ditto for the marigolds. 


8 comments:

  1. You are such a hard worker! Woe to the weeds that are within your reach...they don't stand a chance!! :)
    I like your cheery zinnias. I'm sure you'll have fun making new flower beds at your new place next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish we would get some rain! we are really dry. i love that they painted the trough like a JOL. how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were taking a break!

    I tend to make a list in my head and just keep going. I have lost my list however and have stopped for a few days.

    We received a beautiful rain and the weather is still cool.

    Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we were there- and we would be helping you!!
    Those pumpkins,,, already? I guess time is flying!
    Were happy you will have all those seeds to plant!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pumpkin display!
    Looking forward to Pumpkin Season.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great you are getting so much done. Just think of the time you'll have on your hands when you don't have to work at the old place any longer. Something to look forward to for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exactly what I'll be doing tomorrow. Digging, cutting, and cleaning up. Hopefully, it will be as nice as it is this morning so I can get a lot done.

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute pumpkin display - and the mums are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!