Wednesday, April 13, 2011

And still more Garden!

Keith hurried to finish some garden beds tonight before the storms start tomorrow.  Last night, in fact, he watered the vegetable beds because it has been so dry here.  The ground under the little henhouse is all cracked open now. 

Here is one of the beds, just as he started the layering process.
You see that there is straw, grass, and dirt being put in it.  Underneath them all is a layer of garden paper.
Here is a bed that leaves are being layered in:

We are fortunate that a co-worker of mine gives me bags of his shreded leaves... these are doing the beds wonderous good.
We have also found a man a few miles from us who has a pristine lawn, and he has told us to take as many bags of cut grass as we want.  We brought six home over the weekend.
So here is a finished bed, waiting to be planted:

The plan is that all the surrounding ground... you see grass growing there.... will be mulched too, and covered with a weed cover so we are walking on mulched aisles and don't have to mow.  We know this won't happen in two shakes of a lamb's tail, so we are being patient. 
I also got something today that I was very glad to get:

This is a scented Martha Washington geranium.  I stopped in a nursery at lunch to just take a look at shrubs, and found this beautiful flower.  It will go in a shaded bed with the hostas near the big maple by the deck.

Keith also set two more post footings for the new henhouse, so things are progressing there!

2 comments:

  1. I have so much I want to get done this weekend. I hope I can make a dent in my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh~ beautiful geraniums, Mary Ann! The beds are looking great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!