Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hunkering Down before the Storm

We made ourselves ready for the storm today. 

The little birds ate and ate and ate. 

The big ones did, too... I just didn't get a picture of the eating. 


The deck waterer was busy all day, as this robin will attest... and I had to refill it with warm water literally four times, as it kept freezing on the top.  Next year, we'll use a heated dog bowl, I think. 


Some of us rested up for tomorrow. 


I have a project in the laundry room... I'm fermenting grain for the chickens. (Backyard blend, chopped corn, pellets, and canned corn)
You can read about it HERE from Community Chickens, yesterday.  


I put the critter cam in the henspa today, but I noticed that one of the old hens is scaring the bantams.  When I went out, they all ran to the water and feed as soon as the big hens went outside.  One came back in, and they all ran and hid again.  I did not get any usable pictures, and frankly, with the weather coming, we're just going to hunker down and try to get through the next 48 hours safely. 

And that's it for today from Calamity Acres!  Hope to have pictures of the Snow that IS tomorrow for you! 

10 comments:

  1. Mary Ann,

    Hope you stay safe, dry & warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care and be safe!
    We are ready too.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need a " naughty chair " for the chicken that scares the others.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay safe! The photo of the dog is so funny. I hate that the old hen is scaring the bantams! Hopefully you can figure out a solution to the problem after the weather passes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay safe and warm, Mary Ann... I just saw the weather report for your area and I hope it misses you or moves out quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here, Mary Ann. We hitched the snow plow, filled the bird feeders to the max, and checked all our critter supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link. I'm going to tell a neighbor lady about it who has chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did see on the news that you all were going to be having a big storm there. Hope all is well and you stay safe and warm there. Here we have a couple inches of new snow and it's been windy and cold. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no!!!! Keep safe all of you, not another storm, Francine.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!