Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Tiny Bit Morbid Post

I hope you all won't think me too morbid with this, and I promise to post again later today. 

My brother in law stunned us all with his choice of caskets for my sister... instead of an over-priced metal shell... he ordered a casket from here, the monks of New Melleray Abbey, in Peosta, Iowa.  The great thing about this choice is that it is a sustainable product, and the monks plant a tree for each person remembered this way, so that in time, that new tree can supply another person who passes on.  They are very beautiful, and here is my sister's (I hope not too morbid).  It was truly beautiful.


By the way... I teased my sister a lot, and she told me she was going to come back and haunt me.  Trying to write this post, I literally had to log in THREE times.... before I could get the post to complete and the picture to show. 

Way to go, Little Sis!

9 comments:

  1. It's actually quite beautiful, Mary Ann! Thinking of your family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not morbid at all, and I LOVE his choice! Didn't know options like this are available (because I haven't had to shop...). I want to be cremated myself, but for those who want to be buried entire, this is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. I have saved the link for future reference. I have always felt "over-priced, fancy-dancy" caskets were such a waste of $$$. Your brother-in-law's choice was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of planting a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The casket is beautiful and I love the idea of planting a tree - also, American made. Blessings from Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's beautiful! What a wonderful way to remember her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do think that is a beautiful casket, and I love that it is sustainable. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello all ... this is Keith. The Monks have a walnut tree farm that they cut their wood from. This casket and the wooden crosses that they made for family members are from solid, home grown walnut. Each time a casket is ordered, they plant another tree. It is really quite a neat thing. They also make smaller walnut boxes for cremated remains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so sorry for the loss of your sister! but what a wonderful casket choice! i do love that idea.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!