Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Zorpia Emails

I was not going to post today, but I wanted to let you all know that I have NOT send out the "Zorpia" emails that you have received in your inboxes if we had had correspondence.  I am not sure where these came from, but I think several people's emails were hacked, or Blogger was hacked.  My apologies if you got them from me.

Some further information via Wikipedia:

Zorpia is social networking service, popular in India and China, that uses spamming, scamming and phishing to recruit users.[2][3][4][5][6][7][8] It was founded by Jeffrey Ng in December 2003 and is operated by Zorpia Co. Ltd. The company is based in Hong Kong and has 30 employees.[9]
Zorpia is infamous for sending repetitive "private messages" to people who are not users, referring to fake senders who never have sent any message, "inviting" people to read those "messages" by joining Zorpia by providing their private data.[2][3][4] The site metric data (like the number of users) never has been verified by external parties and it has been suggested that the site is using phishing techniques to gather private user data.[2][5][6] People have been reporting that the account deletion requests are not honoured and their data is continuously used for outbound invitations, and their - supposedly deleted - photographs being shared with others.
Zorpia is one of the few ICP-licensed international social networking services operators in mainland China where it operates the site Zorpia.cn.[10] Zorpia's primary features are photo album, online journal, social networking, customized homepage, comment system, and discussion forum. Users are at least 16 years old.[11] Alexa Internet ranks Zorpia among the 6,000 most frequently visited websites worldwide,[1] 40 percent of its users come from India where its Alexa rank is around 700.[1][10]

Jeffrey Ng, the founder and CEO of Zorpia, was born in 1982 in Hong Kong. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, majoring in computer engineering. In December 2003, he founded Zorpia in his apartment. He was interested in meeting people from around the world and gave the site the name Zorpia because he wanted it to be an online nation for people to make new friends.[12]
Past and current partnerships have included Viximo, Meebo, RockYou, and AdSense. In 2011 Zorpia launched its first Facebook App, Get Dating, focusing on helping Facebook users to find dates, followed by the app Get Friending to find friends.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the notice, its not hit me yet, but forewarned, is forearmed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, I have one in my inbox from someone else and did not open because I question the Zorpia ... will go delete it and add Zorpia on my spam list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know too - I got a message about it from you and also one other blogger so I wasn't inclined to think it was spam, I thought maybe it was a blogging thing. Gotta love how they always come up with new ways to cause trouble for us all. Continued hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not had any signs of it yet. I always wonder how people don't have better things to do than Spam!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I was saturated with it. I emailed everyone that had received one from me. My email kindly showed to whom "I" had sent email invitations.

    I have blocked and cleaned. Hope that rids me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It amazes me how people can come up with these things. I guess they have nothing better to do with their time!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have not seen any- but thank you for letting us know.
    We are getting lots of spams that are coming as comments to the blog,,,,
    some people are such idiots... i just delete them if I can,
    xoxo
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've gotten 2 of these mass emails from blogger pals. sad that they are spamming.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!