I tried to post last night, but HughesNet was not cooperative. I'm going to do one tonight in hopes that it will actually post.
Here is what we are going to be working on tomorrow:
Here is the south bed, the balance of which we never got covered last year. Where you see the siding down is a patch of nasty nettles that burn you. We are trying to kill them without using poison. Tomorrow we are laying paper all around (landscape paper) and then layering straw, max mix (the bags of which you see there) which is a sort of woody mulchy dirt, and also some shredded paper I brought home from work that will be wetted and mixed in. The light colored (tan) mound you see in the distance is the start of an open compost heap, with cleanings from the henhouses. The grass you see in the picture will all be pulled out, and you can just see where the first half of the bed ended, with straw in the left hand front of the bed.
Here are some beautiful white irises blooming in the first bed... and, as you see, there are TONS of little saplings that must come out tomorrow, and tons of grass that I am going to have to have Chris dig up for me.
Here is the big bed of yellows and purples that I moved from the yard last year. In fact, they were intertwined with the nettle bed... and were heck to dig up. They have rewarded us beautifully!
That's Abby doing her business, sorry about that!
My chief Mousers!