Sunday, June 19, 2016

A New Old Library

There were big doin's in Basehor yesterday. 

An over-100-year-old library was moved to its' new home 
in the City Park where the dogs and I walk daily.  Because parking is so tight 
when there is a crowd, we waited until later on in the day to go see it. 


Yes, it's concrete, which made it even more of a historical oddity. 

I still have to find out all the particulars.  I like how they 
braced the interior. 


There is a better look at the bracing. 

What amazed me is that it was so small... in my mind, reading about it, 
I imagined a bigger building. 


It is called "The Reuben" library, for the family (I think) that built it for the town. 

As I say, I am going to speak with the teacher who engineered it's move to the City Park and get all the particulars. 


Look how beautiful the City Gardens are doing.  Every day, we see people working their plots, and people are already harvesting.  Most of the tomatoes look great, and people have been picking lettuce, peas, beets, and other spring plants.  Peas are almost gone now. 


Unfortunately, this is what the ground in the park looks like now, where just a few weeks ago it was so muddy.  

The gardeners are each given a key to the standpipe when they register, so they can water their plots. 


This is growing in a pot on my patio!  It's so cheery I have let it grown, it will be finished soon enough. 


Callibrachoa... I was really drawn to these colors this year. 


I'm watering daily now, but it's paying off! 

An early doctor's appointment is calling me to get off the computer early tonight. 

I hope all the dads had a great Father's Day out there! 


13 comments:

  1. The library is so tiny! I am glad the building was saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear more about the library. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have those same little flowers. Never have had a sunflower grow before. I like them, but have not ever tried to grow one.

    The hubby was happy. Youngest daughter, son-in-law and baby K.G. came to visit yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your flowers are so pretty. we are bone dry here too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be interesting to learn more about that library and as it's a place you visit often you'll be able to track it's progress not that it's moved. It's hot and dry here too. After the rain of last week it's amazing how fast the heat can dry things out. I'll be watering everything here today. It's another hot one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are so pretty, Mary Ann! It's always fun to see what colors get put together, and I love the combination of pink and blue Callibrachoa you chose! Sunflowers are always so cheery, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like an awfully dark interior for a library.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMD that is super that the LIBRARY was SAVED.... LOVE thingys like that.

    OMD the community Garden looks FABULOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We wish they would preserve more old buildings like the library
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are beautiful. What a wonderful thing they did for that library. stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let us know what you find out about the library,
    now I am curious.
    Your flowers look great, we are watering like fiends
    trying to keep the new grass growing.

    Stay cool!!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is some dry ground! We love the sunflower and are growing a few this year ourselves! Ours aren't even as close to blooming though. They are giants so not sure how long it takes.

    Your Pals Who Are Trying To Catch Up,

    Murphy & Stanley & The Laundry Queen

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!