Thursday, November 9, 2017

Wherein I See My Favorite Tree

Somewhere in the bedroom, I hear a sleepy Jester on the loveseat snoring. 

(my letter S won't capitalize!) 

It's the most peaceful sound, the late afternoon sun coming through the windows in the bedroom, and the gentle snoring. 
Twinkle was in here a few minutes ago, and climbed up my leg so many 
times that my leg now feels raw.  She plays all the time, until she is just so 
pooped out, that she can't. 


I have had four days in the last week when I got only 1 to 2 eggs from the 17 hens. 
They are in the middle of a heavy moult.  I am going to start fermenting some 
grain this evening in a small bucket, and serve them fermented grain for a few days 
to get some extra protein in them so they can grow some new feathers. 

I'm taking it to the Ag Hall, too. 

(note what looks like hay in the nest box) 


Two weeks ago, I ordered seven bales of straw. 
Yesterday, I opened my hay shed door, and the sun was shining down on the "straw". 
Am I wrong, or do three of those bales look suspiciously like hay?  The first one I opened 
appeared to be hay.  I don't like to use hay in my chicken house, because it's bad for the hens in a closed space.  One winter we were forced to use hay, there was a huge lack of straw.  
The feed store from whom I bought is very reputable, I should have just called and asked if they got the order wrong.  
Despite it, I will still use them. 



I prefer to use religious cards at Christmas, but I had to buy these when 
I saw them at Marshall's. 


So. Glad. When. She. Poops. Out. 


I literally can't open the door without the hoards coming to see what I'm doing. 


There's Harlequin in the old henhouse yesterday, watching me get her breakfast ready.  


Yesterday, we had our annual volunteer luncheon at the Ag Hall .  We had a wonderful potluck meal, with barbecued meats provided by the 
Ag.  

It was good to see everyone, because even though we are all there a lot, we don't get to all see each other all the time.  It was fun catching up with everyone.  Judy, on the left in the buffalo plaid, is 
the person who is keeping the ag going right now.  Marsha, in the brown striped sweater, is our volunteer coordinator.   Some of the men in this picture are there three days a week as volunteers taking care of the inside and outside, doing repairs to buildings, etc.. We could not operate without them. 


Our two youngest volunteers were modeling the reindeer headdresses for Santa's Express, which is coming up the first two weekends of December.  Local friends it is FREE.  You can see Santa and take as many pictures as you want... ride the train... do make and take crafts in the General Store, and have cookies and hot chocolate in the barn.  
We do accept donations, but YES IT IS FREE thanks to a wonderful sponsor.  Hours are 10 AM to 3 PM, both the first and second Saturdays and Sundays of December. 

These two have been coming to the Ag with their grandparents since they were crawling... what would we do without them? 




and this... THIS, is one reason I moved back. 

Every year I waited for this, it is on the dam between the two deep 
ponds at the bottom of my pasture and the Spehar's land. 

I looked for it for weeks, but did not realize a tree overgrown in my pasture was blocking the view. 

I got out of the car yesterday, and the angle at the top of the drive revealed it in all it's glory.  I 
started crying.  

It was like a huge welcome back for me. 

And now, I'm going to go out and see if there are more than two or three eggs!





10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    that's quite the scene... Love your busy place! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a kid filled your straw order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you got more eggs.
    And I am glad you are back home,,, where your heart is.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know hay was bad for hens! Mostly I use wood shavings, but I have used hay occasionally. Glad you saw your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to be welcomed back. I do know that beautiful place of yours has a special place in your heart. We had snow here today for the first time. Thankfully not much but enough to cover the ground. What a surprise when I opened the blinds today and looked our the window! Hope you have a fantastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are staying very busy mary Ann. I know you are glad to be back home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how your kitten is laying! Guess some people even at farm stores just don't zone in on the difference between hay and straw?! You don't suppose the hens are "building" a nest somewhere to hatch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Full of good emotion, it doesn't get any better than that! We asked mom if we could go to your Santa Express and she said no. We can't believe she said that since it is free!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is very useful for me,Thanks for your sharing.

    หีฟิต

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!