Thursday, May 26, 2016

And Four Days Later....

I honestly do not know where the weeks go. 

And the days. 

Jax and Paiton spent their days with me this week, 
as there is a gap between school and summer camp. 

Tomorrow, their dad will be off with them. 


So many birds are still coming to the deck to eat jelly. 

I don't know what is going on with this house finch, but he's rocking a great 'do. 

I have not seen any with the eye disease... yet.  House finches suffer 
from a terrible eye disease that blinds (and kills) them. 


They love their jelly !


As does Mrs. Finch. 

Yesterday, before it stormed, Paiton, Jax and I went to the Deanna Rose Farmstead, in 
Johnson County (Kansas). 

We had a good morning walking around and looking at the animals and old-timey things. 

However, schools are out now, and the place was crowded and crazy. 


There is a place to mine for jewels.  


Paiton got pretty intent. 

Part of the "fun" of going to the farmstead is that the kids get to see baby animals from the farm. 

I noticed there were two milk cows and FIVE calves.  I finally realized... the calves were there for the kids to see calves.  As Keith suggested, they were probably donated and replaced by others when they got too old. 


Oh, look. 

A plug for the near and dear! 

Here I interject that not just my grands but kids everywhere 
get sick of having their pictures taken.   There was a veritable flood of 
grandparents and parents snapping everywhere, and I had to fight my way through 
the crowd to get mine. 

I am going to try to be much more understanding in the future... 



You know I loved watching the ducks. 


Jax did not like the Pekins, he thought they were bullies. 


Then we went to the pony ride.  Jim is my oldest son, dad of Jax and Paiton. 

That pony's name was Jimmy! 

There were only two girls leading  ponies, and there were three ponies 
standing in their stalls, eating hay.  I think it's good of the farmstead to give ponies a break and 
not work their hooves off all day. 



Paiton's pretty pony was named Annie. 

I cropped out the two teenage lead line ladies, as 
they looked exceedingly bored.  I hate to see what they are going to look like by two months from now. 




From ponies to baby goats.  1.00 for a bottle with a half ounce of milk. 

Jax kept feeding and feeding, and I finally looked at his bottle... there 
was no hole in the nipple.  I took it to a young man working in the goat 
pen... but he appeared to be totally clueless. 

My guess is it went back to the counter to be sold again. 

This was our second trip to the farmstead.  The last time there, 
I asked an adult working there about the goat kids. 

Of course, they must be replaced regularly, too, so it is another sad thing. 

In fact, I could not stay there. 

I saw two that looked ill.  I know someone is responsible for them, but 
I could not stick around there and after ten minutes, 
I moved the human kids along. 


It has been 3 years since we had goats, and Paiton and Jax were little kids... they barely remember them.  I miss them. 


This wonderful meadowlark was singing on the fence when we got home, but 
storms soon descended on us. 


The meadowlark was replaced by the mockingbird in short order. 


Today started out with beautiful clouds after an early morning storm. 

The kids and I jumped into the car with the dogs, to go the park very early this morning. 
We made a run through Daylight Donuts to fuel up, and then turned for the park. 

Unfortunately, before we had gone five miles, dark clouds came over and we 
made our run toward home, and got in the house just as the deluge dropped. 

The rest of the day was like that. 


We spent it inside. 


Lilly does NOT like storms, and these were thunder boomers. 

We got lots of rain. 

She was one foot in the upstairs and one in the down, in case she had to run to the shelter. 

Actually... we did go to the storm shelter... the kids and I.  I took the dogs down twice, 
but they were so excited by then that they kept running back and forth. 
Our tornado sirens went off, and then went off again. 

A firetruck and a sheriff's deputy stopped at the end of our street, 
watching the skies. 

I was worried about my son, who delivers goods all day... and then 
I heard from him and he was on his way home through the storms. 

He picked the kids up and then got home safely. 

Since then (5 PM)... we have had two other big storms go overhead. 

We are expecting more tonight. 

Lilly and I will have a foot on the stairs, because I am hearing yet more thunder. 

Incredibly, as I finish proof-reading this... it is pouring again, and thunder and lightening booming!  Our forecast for the next six days has more of the same, so we are going to have a wet Memorial Day weekend. 

Everyone be safe! 


10 comments:

  1. I miss the thunder boomers, but not the tornadoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are getting a light sprinkle this morning. We do need some rain now. Had so much earlier in the year. Now have had none for a few weeks.

    Have a happy weekend and a wonderful Memorial Day.

    Will be out all next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never liked going to places that have lots of people petting animals, petting zoos I call them. The best place to actually experience them is at a real farm. I was blessed to visit my grand parents farm every year when I was growing up and loved it. Course not everyone knows someone to visit so the only experience they get is one like the place you visited. My own grandchildren have only seen that kind and love them. Hope you stay safe through the storms there. Luckily for you and me, we have a basement to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand missing animals AND taking too many pictures...I still do both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not super (or at all) jazzed with feeding animals at petting zoos - poor babies :-/. The rest of the trip looked fun though. Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Similar weather predicted here, but tornadoes are rare here, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy I wanna go on a horsie
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a fan of those intense storms! Your photos were wonderful and you really captured the essence of those early days after school lets out!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh those storms- so scary!
    Beautiful photos
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you sure it is OK to give wild birds so much sugar? I've been told when we lived in Australia, it causes their egg shells to be weak and causes problems for offspring? Maybe check with wildlife services?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!