Saturday, December 16, 2017

There's Another New Sheriff in Town


Here comes Cogburn to get me on Wednesday.  I'm not kidding, he 
was attacking me every time I came out the door. 

I had an arsenal of weapons right at the door, metal and wood. 

On Wednesday afternoon, I waited til he was down in the goat yard (freshly cleaned out by Odin's Lawncare) with the hens, and I started to the henhouse across the yard to get some bird seed 
for the feeder. 

Before I realized it, he was striking me from behind.  I fought him off with my 
foot, Lilly actually ran, afraid. 

Finally, he got my foot, hard, with both spurs.  He hit me just 
behind the shin bone, on a nerve.  I hobbled to the henhouse, and got 
something I could hit him with if need be. 

I made it back to the house, and my foot exploded in the worst pain 
I have had since childbirth, I kid you not.  I could not have driven 
to the ER to save my life, I couldn't get up on it for more than a second. 

I elevated it and put ice on it, and on Thursday morning, I went to 
the ER.  After xrays, they decided nothing was broken, but 
the nerve was aggravated.  The nurse wrapped it for me (REALLY helped) and 
sent me home to rest it and ice it and elevate it, and I did do so. 
It really helped, too. 

By Friday, I was able to get up on it, still wrapped, and hobble around. 

So, the news is.... Cogburn is GONE. 

Mr. Guerrero, who is doing carpentry for me off and on, 
took him to some friends.  If that is a euphemism for eating him, 
so be it. 

Here's the part where you can laugh. 
I went out there hobbling on Friday, and HE GOT ME AGAIN. 
This time on the hand, and I was actually petrified of a rooster for the first time in my life. 

I've never had an agressive rooster like that, especially one that 
I had raised from a one day old chick. 

I have had MANY roosters, and 20 years ago, had two that I was 
worried about, but did not keep them long. 


So, surprise, surprise.  Here is his replacement, so far, nameless. 

He is gentle, and was the odd man out at his previous home, where he had to 
roost outside.  My friend Roxane brought him last night, and plopped him 
on the roost amongst his new ladies.  

The only reason you see this picture is that I called them over to see him this morning, 
they promptly left him at the henhouse and ran across the yard as they normally do, and he was wandering around calling them. 


You can see he is quite large.  I just hope he likes me. 

I brought home three hens this morning to add to the flock, as we 
dispersed the current flock at the Ag.  I am hoping I have a two month 
vacation before we start a new flock for this summer. 


Let me tell you, sometimes I go through heck to type this blog. 

Twinkle is getting a new friend this afternoon, her name is Autumn.  She was 
grievously mistreated by someone awful, and started out her young life 
in a terrible way.  She has been fostered by the wonderful Tammy Potts, (of Kitty Cat Connection) 
and is coming to me today.  I am hoping it takes some of the pressure 
off my hands and feet, which the hospital nurses were shocked with this week. (they are torn to shreds from Twink). 

Pictures to come.  She will be in the bathroom for a day or two, so everyone has a chance to smell her. 


Wow, am I glad Lilly didn't see this squirrel in the planter on the deck an 
hour ago. 


It had a nut buried in the planter and got it out... like THERE IS NO FOOD ON THE GROUND BEHIND HIM. 


You know, 50 feet from the porch where the entire neighborhood either eats ON or UNDER the feeder (laughing).  Actually, the two red squirrels do eat over there. 


I don't know how he managed, but Twinkle got a Christmas gift out of the 
closet and dragged it across the floor.  I suspect it is going to be Twinkle's from now on, but... we will see how he does with little Autumn. 

I am guessing there will be a lot of play going on. 


Sometimes I hear tapping at the door, no kidding. 

When I look out, there is a delegation there waiting for treats. 
It's usually a leghorn who is tapping, isn't that funny? 

My friend Diane calls them psychotic birds, and they are a little frisky if you 
try to get too close, but I have found them to be very comical and friendly. 


One of our recent sunsets.  

God has really blessed me this year. 



11 comments:

  1. Better call the new rooster "Stewie" just in case

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ann, you've got to disciplibe Twinkle! Don't let him bite or claw you; he must learn. Get a spray bottle of water and spray him when he tries it. My mother didn't discipline her kitten and she grew into a mean cat that bit everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were thinking Cogburn over extended his welcome. When you have to protect yourself against a rooster then it is time for the rooster to visit a friend. We think you should call the new one Foghorn. It seems fitting.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    I have to say I second Sally M's comment; you don't want Twinkle (who is too pretty for his own good) to be turning into a feline Cogburn... your experience echoes my memory of that b****r on uncle's farm. I do hope the newbie is more what you are used to. Good luck with Autumn. That sky reminded me - "red sky at night, shepherds delight; blue sky at night; day". &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I hope the rooter minds his own business, and leaves you alone
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously you have many blogpals who are concerned for you, and don't think you should let those animals beat up on you, me included! You wouldn't want to get a serious infection from spurs or scratches; that could be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that nasty old roster is gone. They can do some terrible damage. And it's nice to hear the new one is a gentler sort. I hope the kittens do enjoy playing together. They are bundles of energy for sure. The ones I used to have didn't play much together but vied for attention from whom ever that could find. So good luck with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a handsome rooster. We sincerely hope he stays a pleasant one. I think a playmate for Twinkle is a wonderful idea. The two should be good entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry to hear the evil rooster got you and he had to get the boot. Hope your foot feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good riddance getting rid of the rooster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is very nice,Thanks for sharing good blog.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!