Thursday, May 18, 2017

One Day At a Time


I've been spending hours cutting down saplings. 

I decided today to work on a couple of the garden beds. 

This is what they look like, and I don't blame 
the renters. 
You see, not everyone is a gardener.  They did 
grow some peppers in that far back bed, 
but the rest became overgrown. 

That high grass is in between the beds.  




This was after about ten minutes of digging and pulling.  You see, 
Keith and I built these beds 
according to the book Lasagna Gardening.  
We put paper down, then dirt mixed with manure. 
Every growing season, I dug through them and replenished the dirt. 

Most of these weeds began to come right out. 


My hard and fast rule is "don't overdo it".  
I'm almost four years older than before. 

However, I did a second bed.  Yes, I still have to clean them up, 
but I took the choppers and cut down the high grass around them, and 
started digging at the dandelions. I am going to have to have 
Brandon, the young man cutting the place, do some weedeating. 

Then I trudged across the yard, carrying all the pulled plants, 
because I have no way to get my cart out there. 
Still figuring that out. 

I tried to cut the high grass around the two beds (with the big cutters).  I figure it will 
take at least six bags of Miracle Gro dirt and a bag each of 
manure before the beds are ready to plant anything. 

I'm not going to garden extensively this year... but it will be 
nice to have a couple of beds for tomatoes. 


This, however, is the current state of the pasture.  Nice hay, huh? 

I can't even get in the gate. 


The dogs and I can't get down to check the status of the fence until 
I can find someone who can cut it. 

Lots of saplings to cut!

How I miss not having a truck. 


Here's the little pond I have shown you so many times.  It has decent water in it now. 

We have not been going back and forth on gravel in an effort to preserve the 
new car. 

I decided to do it today. 


The cow herd is doing well, too! 

Oh, and by the way... this has started, too! 


8 comments:

  1. I am a person who isn't a gardener - I wish I was, but I am not. Enjoy all the baseball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't look like you'll run out of work anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the lasagna gardening method. Looks like it's done a good job for you to make this a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    I just wilt at the thought of all this work for you Mary Ann... but also know how rewarding it can be. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right. A little at a time is better than a lot and regretting it. A few tomatoes will be your reward. Delicious and home-grown.

    I hope the Slugger hit a home run :)

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is best lived one day at a time. Especially when you're looking at a big job such as yours. Glad you found some help. Good advice...don't overdo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're not over doing it. It will be such a satisfied feeling once your are finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making progress.
    I always think about the old adage... how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
    Big projects are soon done with good old fashioned work and stick~to~itiveness.
    Hang in there, and don't wear yourself out :)

    Yay! Have fun watching the games that the Grands play in.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!