Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cleaning the Chicken House







Okay, not the favorite farm chore around here, but it has to be done at least twice a year. The chickens don't like a buildup of smell and filth any better than we do. After weeks of finding excuses to put it off, I decided to tackle it the hottest Sunday afternoon of the year so far.
After five or six trips with my little yard cart to the flower beds, the deed was done. Things sure smelled better! Fresh straw was spread lightly, and by Monday night, the chickens had spread it out well. I'm going to refrain from tossing grain on the floor of the chicken house, and they can eat it out of their feeder, though Mr. T has been keeping the mice down. Six months before I have to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!