Tuesday, November 12, 2019

BRRRRR! What Happened to Fall?

In my last post, I said that snow had greeted us on Thanksgiving... it was Halloween! 
Far too soon, Mother Nature! 

It greeted us again yesterday morning, the 11th. It was so cold and so miserable, I missed the 100th anniversary of the Armistice and parade in Leavenworth.  If you have never seen 
this parade, you are missing something. 


That's one of the two pork butts I cooked last week 
for the shelter.  My house smelled heavenly. 


Finished product (two separate pieces of meat, different colors). 

I took this and buns to the shelter on Thursday. 

(yes, I kept a little for me). 

I bought a second crockpot, my old one was too small. 
I have one six quart and one three quart, and the second butt would not fit in the smaller pot. 

I borrowed one from Judy at the Ag Hall, but then Thursday, 
I ran to Sam's and bought a programmable Crock Pot (brand) 
7 quart pot.  I got it home, put it on the kitchen table. 
Friday, I unboxed it and promptly dropped it on the floor and 
broke the crock into many pieces. 

I bought one from Penney's on Sunday, for half what I paid (on a 
Christmas special) and actually sent a rebate for half of it off this morning. 



We have had beautiful, beautiful days.  The maple has now, since I took this picture on the 6th, 
lost almost all its' leaves. 


The same day, the Smith Farmhouse at the Ag was surrounded by beautiful trees. 


Another gorgeous day here at Calamity Acres. 


Bittersweet is growing in my front fence line.  Some is coming in for 
Christmas. 


This is Fluffy, this afternoon. It was a year ago last week that the boarded sheep were sold and moved.  Fluffy lost her best friend, Freckles... they were very bonded.  Big Mama lost her 
lamb, Blackie, who was the other sheep with a black face. (They took the wrong black-faced sheep)   Mama grieved and went down, 
and died within three days, despite the care of the vet. 


I called a friend whom I knew had a few sheep... she referred me to a man 
in Basehor (five miles from me) who "had a lot".  I called him and went down 
there and found Flicka. 

I was loaned a big carrier (Thanks, Kansas Country Store) and a friend 
helped me catch and load Flicka and we brought her home. 


Fluffy, in a total surprise, because I had never seen her bred.... had Niblet in March. 

And Flicka, whom I was told was bred... 


And Flicka dropped Cookie (cookies and cream, you know) in February, and I had him neutered three weeks later, as the flock needs to remain small. 

Cookie is always in my face, looking for scritches, which is why he has such an 
extreme closeup. 

I have a heated bucket for them, and a good supply of hay... with more, if I need it. 
They have a good little barn which I had repaired in August, so we are good to go. 


I went to watch Paiton ride on Sunday. 

Ice's rear hooves were VERY dirty, she had to think hard about 
cleaning them, but in the end, she did. 

(she had forgotten her gloves). 


It's not all fun and games. 

And yes, her instructor made her take the sucker out of her mouth before they went into the arena. 

That was Sunday at 60 degrees, it was snowing and about ten degrees yesterday morning. 


The gorgeous maple tree at the foot of my pasture, 
across the Spehar's ponds.  I look for it every year. 


Our beautiful Ranger boy, gone now almost seven years next month. 
What a wonderful, wonderful boy he was! 

Here I must say that the program I have used to store pictures on the computer for many years has stopped initializing.  I re-installed it, but it will not accept my log in.  You see I was able to do the post, but I am having to learn a new way.  I also was able to add in pictures from my phone, but when I got a new charger, I lost that ability, too.  It will still post from the phone, but the pictures are almost a week old before they become available.  I may have to start carrying a small camera again, as I used to.  

Live and learn! 

Everyone stay warm! 
















7 comments:

  1. Animals come and go, but remain forever in our hearts....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Animals really leave foot prints on our souls. We got our first real snow last night. I fear it is here to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    Technology is wonderful. Until it isn't! Your anipets are all gorgeous... it does seem to have been a short autumn. We are in the minus temperatures that last few nights... hey ho... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you. I've never been around sheep.
    Ranger was a beauty.
    Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall quickly turned to winter here too with the arrival of snow and very cold weather. I'm never ready for it. Every year the cold bothers me worse. I get so bundled up that I feeling like I'm dragging around a lot of extra weight. Then I'm barely moving. I hope this winter is kind to you and the critters. Keep warm and sty safe in the ice and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Online Assignment Help is the effective source of getting experts’ help for writing academic papers. By using assignment help services, students can complete their assignment on time. If you are stuck with your economics assignment and then you can opt for our economics assignment help. For more info please visit our website: https://fullassignment.com/
    or reach out us on WhatsApp - (+1) 669-271-4848

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!