Monday, September 17, 2018

Catching Up on the Month

Whew

What a month so far. 

I traveled to Milwaukee, saw Ringo Starr and his band (again) and 
had my 50th high school reunion, and yes, I said FIFTIETH. 

Over the weekend, I found my mother's pictures from her 50th... why do those 
people seem so much older than we do? 


Here are some of the happy St. Peter's Cathedral graduates from the 
class of 1964!  We took some pictures on Friday because one of us
(Ted Kokoruda, left) was not able to make Saturday's get together. 

There were two women missing from this picture, I got a picture of them 
and Ted a little later.  We look pretty good (that's your blogger in the green). 

The men look older, sorry, guys! 

The following night, we met at a venue in the Crossroads, in KCMO.  It was  a
great dinner and another chance to visit with everyone.  Ted, if you are reading this... I will send you copies of the grade school picture and of the big class picture. 

I remember my mom was so apprehensive about going, and had herself 
really worked up... I took her over to the reunion venue that day in 1980 something... and 
she had a BLAST, in fact, called me to say "she had a ride home" in a happy voice.  I've never forgotten that.   My mom was widowed twice, so this was a big deal for her. 

I went with the idea of just having a good time and seeing old friends, and 
that was accomplished!

Now, back to farm business!

I hit a milestone in the last two weeks... in fact, last Tuesday. 

A year ago last Tuesday was this: 


If it had not been for my grandsons Jacob, Nathan and Christopher, I would have
never gotten the move done, we worked all summer.  

Then, on the 12th, Two Men and a Truck came and moved the last big stuff for us, 
and about 20 boxes.  Chris and I literally fell asleep on the front porch while they were 
moving the things in. 

Now, that ugly Hughesnet satellite is gone, and the deck is full of flowers again. 
Likewise the old refrigerator on the porch.... tho in looking back, I should have moved it 
to the barn for egg storage.   Hindsight, you know. 


A year later, to the day. 

Would never have dreamed sheep would be here, or that I would like them so much. 


Despite the fact that we got lots of rain two weeks ago, they are working away at the large bale that their owner brought for them.  He has bought four more, from what I understand.  That's good, 
because we only got one cutting on most fields this year, and hay is already at 85.00 to 125.00 for a large round. 


My four Black Stars and six Gold Comets are growing into beautiful young birds. 
None has started laying yet, and in fact, the molt is starting.  I am getting barely 
ten eggs a day out of almost 40 hens.  

I also have a purebred cochin girl this size... but cochins are not prolific egg 
layers. 

I'll try to get a picture of the two young roosters, who are expending great energy running back and forth after the pullets and hens. 


My boy Jes can be pretty intent.  As I said on Instagram, 
I have not had even ONE full sandwich in the last ten years, before 
Jes it was the four pugs. 

I had a bacon sandwich that day, by the way. 


These are ornamental peppers in a bed at the 

I took it Saturday morning when I went to work the front desk. 


These were in a bed in Topeka, when I took my sister in law there on Thursday. 

I am so doing this next year.  I have also thought of a way to keep these guys off the deck: 


Sheep did this. 


Yes, these guys.  I did not get the camera out in time to get their guilty looks. 

An hour later, the four dark ducks were up there picking through everything. 

Now... look at the picture of the spilled washtub and you will see some sweet potato tubers.  I cleaned them off.... and was going to cook them to see what they were like, and was told they were 
poisonous.  Well, guess what... after throwing them away.... I found they are NOT, and can 
be eaten.  They just aren't bred for flavor like the garden varieties.  I have another washtub of 
vines, and am going to try one out of it.  I had been afraid to even put them in the compost heap so the sheep would not touch them, but now am no longer afraid. 


One of the dark ducks is now laying, but she is dropping her eggs at random spots in the yard. 
Yesterday's egg was pounced upon by the chickens, who broke it and ran around with it. 
You can see they are much bigger than the chicken eggs, and I'll use them for 
baking.  I wish she would pick a spot that I could check daily. 


Ramona, this one's for you! 

I have quit feeding any wet cat food for the time being, 
because of this.  The pasture feeder is being 
emptied nightly, too, and the raccoon getting it is a big boar, so I am 
leaving him alone. 


The time and date on this cam is correct... and Spooky and Harlequin got there 
early enough last night that they were able to eat.  Not ten minutes later came the 
first of the raccoons, and in all, there were about 8 of them. 

Spooky also made it to the front deck of the Hen Spa (where they are, here) to 
eat the little bit I put out there, so I know they got fed. 

The pasture feeder camera was NOT TURNED ON.  My bad.  All the 
food was gone, though..


Gray tabby checked WAY too late... that was early this morning...

I hope he got some in the pasture...


This guy got there too late, too, and peed to show his displeasure. 










Butterfly goodness at the Ag. 

I want to wish a happy birthday to my oldest son, Jim, too... who turned 
the BIG FIFTY on Saturday! 






9 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    hello Jess!!! Hello chooks, ducks and sheep; cats et al!!! Mary Ann. is it really a year already? oh my... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the right move for you; Calamity Acres is a busy, happy, colorful place again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary Ann
    Thank you for the lovely comment on our precious little Diva.
    She gave Diva a new meaning. Each time I see a sun puddle or a box I'll smile. She gave me so much joy and I'm pretty sure she'd be royally UPSET if I quit blogging so I will be back ...and who knows an Angelic Diva will probably fly every so often too.
    Hugs and Proud to have been Mom of Madi
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you had a lovely time at your reunion. I know I will never attend one in my life. I didn't like the people then and don't care where they are now! My mom has loved hers though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I planted some slips from my house potatoes into my containers. I'm waiting till the vines die to see if they made any taters.

    lol.......you have a coon infestation.

    Jester, you are a cutie and I bet you get all the sandwich you want.

    I still cannot believe how high those round bales are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like you had a fun reunion! your place is looking so lively!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a difference a year makes and you certainly have had a busy one. I didn't realize you have 40 chickens now. That's quite a flock. Glad your reunion was fun and you had a good time. Hard to believe the month is more than halfway over already. It seems like yesterday it was just beginning. I think the rest of the year will be much the same. My lazy summer days are over and time speeds up when we are having fun !

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are giving one of best caregiving service here in Port St. Lucie. Our homewatch caregivers delivers all day and night around the clock.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!