Monday, October 1, 2018

October 1st!

Hello, October, start of my favorite three months of the year! 

I can't believe two weeks has gone by since I posted! 

I have meant to tell all of you about Morning Chicken. 

She is gone. 

Yes, she was the friendliest... and slept in the sheep barn with the sheep. 
She disappeared about 3 weeks ago, and has not greeted me since.  In fact, 
she COULD be here, I have so many red chickens... but I fear not, as she 
refused to roost inside. 

During the summer, I had another wayward red hen who roosted in my stand-alone garage, where I park my mower.  She also disappeared, or gave into sleeping in the hen house. 


This is one of the two Cornish hens... I suspect neither is laying any more, but they are so beautiful, they will live here til they die. 


Mornings have been beautiful these last two weeks. 


Eggs have dwindled down to nothing because of the molt. 

I am hoping we come out of it, soon. 


Singleton has grown into a beautiful rooster with a glorious crow.  He's driving the hens and pullets crazy, though, along with Midnight, the black Cochin cockerel. 


Granddaughter Paiton and I spent the day together last Saturday, 
and she helped me around here after we went shopping together in the morning. 
I love the sunflower tree at Hobby Lobby, but don't have the strength to do one anymore. 
(laughing).  Love to look at them, though. 


She found a nest with 20 eggs in it, under the nest box in the little henhouse. 


She really likes the sheep, and was so glad Big Mama is so friendly. 

(Paiton was eating a lollipop that stained her blue!) 


This picture pretty much shows you what the raccoons think of the cheap seed mixture I got on the fly last week, when I could not get to Bonner Springs to Valley Feed.  
The raccoon pooped in the middle of it, and for that matter, you see the birds spurned most of it. 


They left me a calling card right in front of the pophole of the Hen Spa the other day. 


The other day I left the camera up during the day, and discovered that two of the three feral kittens (now year old cats) are coming during the day and going in and out of the Hen Spa to look for mice (I hope).  I have started leaving food out for them. 

That's Harlequin. 



But Spooky or Rusty is coming, too. 


And I got proof on camera last week that I was not seeing things, and both black (neutered) males are alive and well. 

Only one kitten, the fourth, who was a girl, was lost. 


This is really getting tiresome. 
There is no way to combat it, however, short of NOT feeding the cats, which I hate to do. 

The raccoons would kill all the chickens if they could get into the hen houses, but oddly enough, don't bother the ducks. 


Yesterday we had a family reunion for my mother's side of the family, and 
did we ever have a good time. Here I am with some of my cousins.... and no, I don't wear that green outfit every day (but had it on in my last post, too!).... we all had such a good time eating and visiting... renewing old friendships.  Some I see regularly, but some, only at these reunions which are few and far between now.   My first cousin Sharon, top row left, reminded me that since we met five years ago, we have lost many of the older generation.  (including my brother, Mike).  
She also reminded me that WE are that generation that will go next.... scary to think of.  
I intend to stay active as long as I can... and hopefully, be around for a good while yet. 
Whether or not I'll still be wrangling chickens... we'll see!  

Have a good week, everyone, and Happy October! 
















4 comments:

  1. Love your stories and photos! Keep up the good work! ( surely there is a generation or two above us, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    doesn't the year race on?! Shame the economy buy proved unpopular. They've all developed 5* tastes!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sweet pictures to start off this new month ! Your chickens, your cats, your granddaughter and cousins are good reasons to smile and keep on going for sure ! Happy October !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the hen. Glad you saw all 3 of the boy cats.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!