Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Well, Well, Well

Things are not so good here this morning. 

We were at minus 5 degrees this morning when I got up.... we are at 2 above now. 

Yesterday never went above ten degrees. 

My well is frozen. 

Troy next door reminded me that Keith had always kept a 
light burning in the well house during the winter, and I had 
totally forgotten that.  So, yesterday, I tried to lift the 
hatch... it's frozen down.  I ran to Orschelns and bought a 
light and fixture, in case the old one is not in there, and this afternoon, 
I am going to call a friend for help to see if we can get the hatch off and the 
light hung. 

We are headed for the upper 20's today, the thirties and forties tomorrow, 
and the fifties on Friday!! 

I am praying for a thaw of the well, please join me.  :-) 

For the time being, Troy and Kathy are graciously letting me get buckets at 
their outdoor faucet, thank you!!

If it doesn't thaw, I'll be calling in the big guns. 


These guys have not been outside since Saturday, and they are going stir crazy. 
Even with the door to the feed room open, they are under each other's feet. 
I am giving them extra treats to keep them busy. 

IF we get to fifteen or above (my rule is usually 20) they are going out 
this afternoon. 


As you see, something or two somethings are sleeping in the straw of the closet of the old henhouse.  Now that I look at it, that almost looks like blood on the left.  
No body bits, though. 

I caught the culprit sleeping in the larger nest. 



Look who it is!  The grey and white feral cat that eats by my gate!

I found him in the nest yesterday afternoon when I went out to turn the 
overhead light out and check the water and dry feed. 

I went back in the house quietly, so I wouldn't scare him. 


And look what he did!  He actually came and ate the canned cat food I put in the bowl for him, and let me stand there and take pictures. 

You see he is in good flesh, the Caldwells across the road leave food out for him, too. 

I have not seen the grey tabby, or Harley and Spooky, for several days. 


The story of my life, for a few days, at least. 


And I am just going to be honest and tell you I am SO TIRED of wearing double everything. 

And now I have to drive to my son's to shower. 


For being 11, the cold has just awakened this girl. 

She is out on the porch right now, laying in the sun. 


Of course, she DOES like her creature comforts (and she can see the gate from there). 


By the tracks in the snow, a possum has been going in and out of the 
little red henhouse to eat.  I am still leaving some dry cat food in there. 

His/her pawprints go up the ramp and in and out. 


Cat tracks.  

Too cold for the raccoons, but that will change tonight. 


I caught a junco flying out this hole in the window of the old henhouse the day before yesterday.  I guess I'm glad I did not put plastic over it. 


You can see how deep the seed is under the bird feeding station. 
I am doing things differently next year. 

I'm embarassed to say how much I have been feeding.  To be fair, 
a lot falls off the feeding platform. 


There is a better look.  No one has found that new feeder yet!

Woodpeckers are going at the two cage suet feeders on top. 

However.... with the current well situation, I am able only to fill the heated water 
on the deck, and frankly, it needs to be emptied and cleaned.  Right now, it is the only place 
for the birds to get a drink.  

I am going to change the way I feed next year, and not feed on the deck at all. 


I will keep the heated water on the deck, though, because I love the birds. 

(I love how bluebirds drink so many at a time). 

I'm going to talk to a nephew who is an electrician and see if there is a 
way to safely run one of these to the bird area, and keep it filled so I don't have to go 
in and out constantly. 


Lest you think Lilly is the only one cavorting in the snow... Jester has been in and out, too. 



I am always with him, because of this. 


A tiny bit closer.  I don't take the big cameras out in the cold much. 

This hawk was sitting at my feeder last week, and I can't find the pictures, I 
may have inadvertantly erased them. 


Gratuitous cuteness for the end of the post. 

These are INDOOR kitties, by the way. 




13 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    hello kittehs!!! Oh to cuddle up with them right now; I am dressed in multilayers like yourself, Mary Ann - inSIDE. I just can't afford to run the heating 24 hours. I don't mind the wrappings. It's the undressing for innerhouse visits which is a bit of a b*****!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the well thaws and water flows again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m tired of this extreme cold. Hope the well thaws. You tKe such good care of all the critters

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hopped over from Murphy and Stanley's blog. I'm so glad I found you, so many interesting details and great pics. Of course I love the animals, but the photos with i.d. of the pawprints were great, too. I'm in Chattanooga, and your weather and forecast describes ours this week. What part of the country are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hate well isses! Good luck! The feral cat looks good. Those look like happy birds

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope everything thaws out for you with the warmer weather then you can be prepared with the light in the well house the next time. This cold has made a lot of us rethink things a bit. I'm hoping for warmer days and trying to think Spring ! Like your cute kitties I've been spending a lot of time cuddled in a blanket and keeping warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a mess to have to haul water. Water is especially important for animals in the winter. Your bluebirds are so pretty--I'm jealous! Yes, that is a good looking feral cat. My parents fed and watered anything that wandered into their yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surrounded by life despite the frozen temperatures! We hope the well has thawed and those troubles are behind you!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure hope the well is thawed out by now, Mary Ann, and giving you water. I remember that RH always kept 2 lightbulbs burning in the well house at our old place during really cold weather.

    Would a hawk really try to pick up Jester? I hadn't even thought about that and we have a hawk around and Bree only weighs 8 pounds. I do watch them from the door but I need to start going out with them. I think I'd go out of my mind if I saw our little ones being picked up by a hawk. We do go out at night with them before bed as neighbors have reported coyotes.

    Your hens are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been ages since you posted. Hope you are well. Nannie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!