Saturday, August 13, 2022

It Finally Got Me

My friends, Covid finally got me. 

Despite wearing a mask religiously for the first 18 months, being careful for this whole length of time, two shots and one booster... it got me ten days ago. 

I was one from the Ag Hall that got it, it was passed around among us there. I started to experience a sore throat and fatigue, tested negative twice... and then really went downhill with fever and terrible, all-encompassing fatigue. 

I had talked to my doctor about a booster, but he had advised me to wait and get the new booster and my flu shot at the same time, in September. 

Would it have made a difference?  We don't know. 

Thanks to the Army, I was able to get molnupiravir, a new experimental drug, and took it for five days. I would say the first three days were really the worst but.... I caution anyone thinking this is a free ride, because I have never had such exhaustion in my whole life.  Even now, ten days later, I am having to rest frequently, and I have no energy. 

My heart goes out to those in the very first part of the pandemic who suffered so very much with no medicine to help them. What they must have gone through. 

So, today was a momentous day.  I got up this morning, Friday the 12th, to find no water at my faucets.  I could not imagine I had left a pump open and used all my water, but I flew around the yard in my nightgown. 

No water. 

Think about that.  Can't even flush the toilet. 

Can't water the animals.  Can't fill the sheep troughs.

Can't water the plants. 

I carried two buckets this morning, and I no longer have the strength to carry full buckets. 


 


And then a miracle happened... the well man who worked for me in June was 
able to come today, and brought an extra body to help. 


Yes, they are mighty close to the electric line from the pole to the house. 



The pump, which was nine years old, did not fail.  My phone pictures did not come over yet, so I can't show you.  I may wait to post this tomorrow. 

The wiring split. 


There is the old pump, and the pipe leading into it.  They stand in heavy mineralized water, can you tell?  See how blackened they are?  

I had them replace all wiring and put a new pump in, I do not want to have to worry about this ever again in my lifetime here at Calamity Acres. 


Here is the new pump, getting ready to be lowered in, it looks sleek, doesn't it? 

The funny thing is, this is something I always, always feared after moving back, and now it's past me. 

My thanks to Aqua Services, LLC, for coming so quickly after I called. 




Here is little Teenie the Meanie, and believe me, she is. 
She and Wanda live at the big hen house, but she beats up on Wanda something fierce. 
Teenie came here in heat, and drew Jack Flash months ago.  I had her neutered by Leavenworth Animal Welfare Society. 


Wanda, who gets hissed up one side and down the other.  They are actually almost the same size.... little. 





The Sunday I went down with Covid, Sam brought nineteen ewes and the ram back over. 

I was in a daze when they came, and didn't properly look at them for a few days.  Sam was here checking on them the other night, and we agreed they are looking in fine fettle.  Most have been bred. The heat is not bothering them as it bothered the lambs last year... though we have had some really hot days.  

It's good to see them grazing when I look out the window.  
Once the well is working, I'll top their water off. 


My beautiful Bullseye. 


Oh, Look... there are still raccoons here (laugh). 
The funny thing is, they are being cheated.  I have switched to a really cheap feed that is mostly sunflower seed with a few peanuts mixed in.  You see how they are ganging up on each other... and there is hardly anything in the flat feeder. 

The "ring" under the feeder that spread out for ten feet in a huge circle is no more... there is hardly any wasted seed. 


My neighbor Linda has beautiful surprise lilies in her gateway. 


This was another kindness last week... Forest Keepers Tree Service came by to see what would be needed to pull this down. 


It was huge, and resting on the roof. 

Parats Wolfe, the supervisor, jumped up on the fence, jumped onto the roof, 
got his pole cutter, pulled the huge branch down and four others, and then went over to the big maple next to the house, and pulled three or four more down! 
His two young boys were with him, and they made a big pile for me. 

I still need to get them cut up, but what a blessing for me. 


You see, Ben has gone away to college now, and I have lost my main helper. 
I could not have done the last three years without him. 

However, my grandson Jax has been coming out during the summer and learning, and I hope to have his help next summer. 

I will find someone to cut this pile up for me. 


I have been so happy with my flowers this year. 
I spent less than I have in the past years. 


I don't know the name of this wildflower growing in the fenceline, but it creates huge dandelion-type puffs after blooming. 


This is a type of banana pepper, called "Gorbaci", that I got from Baker Creek. 

They are crispy and good, but folks, I can't eat that many peppers, and the plant is loaded. 


I was so happy with this coleus planting this year. 





I love how the plants peak through the railing... and a bunch have self-seeded along the 
side of the porch. 

I just really have enjoyed gardening in containers.  Next time I will show you what is left of all my in-ground beds and what I am doing with them. 

I also found a picture of years past, when I had two twenty five foot long borders, and they were in full bloom.  How it made my heart swell. 

I am going to wait to post this tomorrow, so I can show you pictures of the new pump going in. 

It's Saturday morning, and I just checked the camera card from the camera in the garden. 

I am going to post a couple of pictures from it. 


I swear it's a free for all out there at night!


That's Bullesye, hanging from the flat feeder. 

The birds have a fraught time of it when he is outside. 

Bullseye was brought up a feral kitten in the woods at Tanglewood Lakes, 
and my son brought him home to me  Yes, he is successful from time to time, and yes, it breaks my heart.  Right now, he, Mama, and Molly are all out there in between the feeders, but I also know the birds are on high alert.  






















7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear it final got you. I am 99% sure I had it in February 2020 (before the tests) because I was no as sick in my life. Since then, knock on wood, it has missed us, but I wait. I hope you are feeling better and have water and no other issues soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe your wildflower is yellow salsify. I’m glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    I see Donna beat me to it! I concur. Like 'Kten', I had the lurgy before it was even propery named and it was far from pleasant. I also developed Long Covid - or it retriggered the CFS; either way I have not been 100% since. I hope the hangover fatigue does leave you MA and that the new water pump sucks long and strong... &*> Oh, BTW, the peppers would freeze nicely to be used in stews during winter... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. SIX raccoons!?! And that picture of Bullseye is hilarious – although not for the poor birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are on the mend Mary Ann. We've had it and it was no fun at all. That did look like it was almost touching the power line. That's scary. Take care and rest. Get over being sick before worrying about doing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Ann, I'm so very sorry you went through the Covid time! It sounds like you had a really difficult time with it and I suspect even now that you might not feel back to normal fully. It's scary to think about all those that first year who caught it and no vaccinations. I always feel hesitant to say or write that RH and I haven't caught it yet, as if that's just asking to catch it. Everyone in our family has it except us and every time we have to go to a doctor appointment or I venture out rarely to shop or be with family I start counting down the days afterwards, wondering if it will finally happen. Our doctor too says to wait until fall for our second booster and flu shot so we will wait and risk it.

    You have such a busy life with so many responsibilities that I ache for what you went through. And your good helper now away at school. Please take care of yourself, God bless and keep you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!