Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Cold Weather and a Return

I remain resolved to try to post more often in this new year!

We are one month from Christmas, can anyone believe it? 

Let's get right onto it. 

This first picture is someone who brought a smile to my face, and my heart sang. 


This is my beautiful Rusty, the cat from the header. 

He looks in great shape, doesn't he?

I had not seen him in four months, and last week, I caught him on the deck camera. 

I was so relieved, and then was "rewarded" with this additional picture of him on the twenty-third. 

My theory is that when the females came from Kitty Cat Connection, Rusty gave up and departed. 

I nearly cried when I saw him last week.  

He actually came from Kitty Cat Connection four years ago, with his three siblings, as kittens. One by one, they disappeared.  I thought he had, too. 

But you know what?  Now that I stare at this picture, as I type... I am no longer sure this is he. 

The face looks too narrow, but... I am going to look at the many pictures I have of him to be sure. 


This cat, with a collar, and in great flesh, appeared Sunday night. Remember, that basin is heated. 
I pick up the cat food most nights, except when it is really frigid, and then I leave it down, because the raccoons and possums generally den up. 

I don't know this cat.  


This is the only swinging feeder I have left.... I have not had to fill it except once or twice a day, however.... for some reason, I had to refill it at least six times yesterday and today.  I finally went out there and taped it to the shepherd's hook so it will not swing.  I had so many of these feeders, but they are so wasteful... I wasted pounds of birdseed last winter.  It's far too expensive to waste this year. 
A 40 pound bag of Back Yard Blend has gone from 18.99 at this time last year, to 33.95.  I have all the feeders stored in the shop now. 

I put sunflower chips in this feeder, the most expensive of the feeds.  

Yes, it was horridly cold. 


Here is Wanda, in the big hen house.  She has made her bed in there for the last three nights. I believe Cleo, who normally sleeps rough, has run her out of the shop.  Cleo has been sleeping inside since the really cold weather hit.  

Wanda has a bad eye, and I know it looks bad here, but it is actually open when she is up and about. I am studying about how to catch her, and have talked to a local vet about her being treated there. 

Unfortunately, I was going to let her live in there... I put soft fresh straw in the nest yesterday... but this morning, as I walked out to open up... I caught her going after the old hens with mal-intent.  She was ushered out.  

There are enough mice in there that the hens should not be enticing... I suspect she was playing, but it looked rough. 


Cleo, the Queen of the Shop. 
She lets the others know it, too. 


Bullseye's work.  Remember, he started out feral in the woods. 
I have been keeping him in as much as I can, and I believe tomorrow I am going to get him a collar with a bell on it, one that can be heard by anything he is after. 

Sorry for the gore, but it's a fact of life in the country. 

There are thirty or more cardinals eating here right now, and I hate to see any go down to the Killer. 


There was another possum on the Kuranda bed... and you can just see Coco's head in the deck chair in the middle of the picture.  That is an electric heater in the middle, and I have to say that it is making the shop livable for the cats ... the possums are just visitors (I think).  In this sequence, Coco's head came up every once in a while as she made sure the possums were not bothering her. 
You can see where they have been drinking out of the heated basin in the front of the picture. 


I took this through the window last week... I felt so sorry for the birds and squirrels.  On days like this, I don't let the chickens out at all.  I hate going out, the older I get, the more I dread the cold, I admit it. 


Also staying inside in the bitter cold. 

That heater looks like it is right on the bed, it is not.  
Zoey has been in front of it all day today, and Jester is with me here in the office. 
It is 24 as I type this.  It was 52 yesterday.... go figure. 



The Killa better be glad I love him. 


Starliings gotta eat too. 

I would like them better if they didn't poop all over everything... but... I have to admit to you that I am not getting them this year in the hordes of years past. 


I watch this redtailed hawk at the bottom of my pasture every day, he is watching one of the ponds on the Spehar's property.  I always want to to tell him to turn around, there is a cornucopia of birds in my yard just behind him... but he always watches the pond and looks so cold and lonely


These guys love Back Yard Blend, though. 


So do these, and they were waiting for their turn. 


Hoping she was not The One. 


I caught these beauties up in the walnut tree. 


So grateful I foster failed.... again. 


And so grateful for this old guy, who has been accepting of everything and everyone that has come into this house in the last five years.  He's my doll, and my big buddy.... Jester. 

He is the last pet Keith and I had together.  
That smile on his face is for real. 




Comparing the two... it's Rusty. 

So relieved, I can't tell you how much. 

I'm putting food in the pasture feeder again at night, just in case. 
He's eating good somewhere, though.  

Stay warm, friends. 

Spring is in 54 days! 




























 

5 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Yeah, Rusty is playing the field! One thing is certain, Mary Ann, you cannot get bored on those acres!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see your fellow again. I hate it when they disappear never to be seen again. Glad you have such good companions to give you lots of love.

    I hate that weather. Could not imagine living anywhere where it is that cold.

    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  3. GLAD YOUR CAT FRIEND HAS RETURNED. IT'S A WORRY WHEN WE DON'T SEE THEM. I only ever had indoor cats where I could keep an eye on them. It's been terribly cold here and I haven't seem much wildlife at all. Take care and keep warm and watch out for ice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how many animals you catch on those cams. So glad it was Rusty! I guess they have their little world, and sometimes we don't know all of it. When I fed ferals, I would get so stressed when they would disappear. I know how you feel. And the cost of seed! Incredible. I am feeding the finches with the thistle seed, and also a few blocks of seed I got for cheap after Christmas, I guess for pheasants but the songbirds like it, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!