Tuesday, May 4, 2021

How The Heck Did We Get to May?

All of the sudden, it's MAY!



A week ago, this happened!


My helper Ben brought over nine lambs from the Smiling M, 
his home farm. 

They are little girls and boys. 



The girls will remain at the Smiling M as replacements, and the boys 
will be going to the sale as they gain weight. 

That pen is so overgrown now after a week of off and on rain, that I am going to have 
to have Ben work on it the next time he comes. 



With a really warm day (80 degrees) came the big snakes. 
This one killed one of the red chicks I saved a month ago. 
Ben and I put her in a pen in the old hen house with her sisters. 
I actually saw the snake in there and did not even fathom it would take a half-grown chick. 
I came out fifteen minutes later to find it down the snake's throat to its' shoulders, and the snake 
wrapped around it.  I picked it up and shook  it; it dropped the baby, but it was smothered. 
I took the snake outside.  There was another just as big, and a third, about half their size. 

The three surviving babies went back into their brooder cage. 
Now two have gone to another home... and I am left with one, who is currently in the 
Silkie house, but going back into the brooder cage at night. 


The silkie house. 

(The little hen house) 


How I picture my hen houses. (laughing) 




They are back!  Baltimore Oriole female through the 
front door.  

A half orange disappeared off that feeder this morning, 
I can't wait to check the two cameras I have out there


The little lamb pictured with Ben above is usually all by herself.... I am keeping an eye on her. 
She was far from her friends yesterday. 

I keep three sources of water for them, and go out several times a day to check on 
them. 


I lost one of my remaining Brown Leghorn hens two weeks ago. 
This one is acting strangely, I have only found maybe three eggs from her. 
She is spending time in nest boxes, as if she were going broody, but... that's where I found her sister dead.


Really not what you want to find first thing in the morning. 

I have lost six hens since the cold in February... 

I took the silkies in trade for the four chicks (have kept one 
chick of that four) and I think of taking in a few older chicks from 
Tractor Supply, but.... feed has gone up three dollars a bag across the board. 
I'm waiting to see how things shake out.  I honestly don't know how 
people (Like I used to be) who have multiple species and large flocks are doing it right now. 



This is the tub where I dumped a "Wildflower Mix" last summer. 

I let it re-seed itself, and LOOK!  



I won't be seeing this much longer. 


They will have to stay on their side of the yard once all the planters are planted. 



How we watch tv in the evenings :-) 



We all have the best dog in the world. 

Jester is my good friend, and this is how we try to end our days. 














 

6 comments:

  1. Ohh, sorry to hear about that snake! That's one thing I don't have to worry about here in Ontario. That chicken coop would be a dream, wouldn't it! (I'm sure the chickens would leave the flowering shrubs alone!) Your little lambs are adorable. I envy your little hobby farm, although I'm sure it is a lot of work. I'm down to 7 hens. Have a wonderful rest of your week. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    always a fact of animal husbandry... the losses v the gains. I love that you just grab those serpents and show them the door! How wonderful to have sheep around again... I anticipate some adventures with them! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always so busy, I can see why you lose track of time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy times on your farm! I know snakes and all God's creatures must eat, but how sad about the little half-grown chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute lambs. I hate snakes. Don't care what kind they are.
    Sorry for the chicken losses Mary Ann.
    Kitty looks happy. Jester looks like he is slimming down too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chickens gone but now you have lambs to enjoy. Life on a farm isn't easy but certainly teaches about life.
    Everything is going up and up including your chicken feed. It'll probably never come down again either. Hope you and Jester enjoy another wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!