Saturday, October 24, 2020

Quarantine Times

Oh, yes, friends, I'm in quarantine. 

On Tuesday, I took Jester to the vet for an eye check, and to have his nails trimmed. 

My vet's office requires everyone to mask, and they are very serious about it, I jokingly say I need to have a standing weekly appointment, because Fritzi and I have been there so much this year. 

Jester was lifted up by the associate vet who was seeing him.  His eyes were checked, and then I offered to hold him while the vet did his nails.  I held Jester closely in an embrace while the vet worked and we visited.  

Yesterday, I was in the dentist's office and my phone began to vibrate.  

  It was the practice owner... the vet who saw 

Jester had tested positive for COVID.   

Notice I said I was at the dentist's office?  I had removed my mask only for a minute, so that he could check something in my mouth on which he was doing a second check.  They have literally had to shut down three times for covid exposures. 

I had been to the feed store and to a friend's house during the week, I let everyone know. 

I am home until November 3rd, now, after talking to the Health Department. 

I am not to get tested UNLESS I show symptoms, and I have not shown any... the Health Department spokesperson told me that usually, symptoms are shown within five to seven days after exposure. That would be today through Monday, and so far, so good.  My son is taking care of grocery runs, and a friend will pick up feed I need at mid-week, so, except for not going to church, I will be good here at home. I like to be here, too, so everything will be fine barring any crisis with Fritzi. (I'm thinking positively there). 

So, let's look at some pictures. 

The weather has been bizarre here in the past ten days.  We literally went from 85 on Thursday to 40 yesterday, and right now, it is 39, with a feels like of 33.  All hoses are unhooked, I am carrying water in buckets, but, thank heavens, I do not have the sheep to worry about. It has been easy keeping the chickens supplied, I have four outside water fortexes, and the two fountains inside. 


We have had some beautiful sunrises.  I am 
not usually up and out the door now at sunrise, as I used to be while I was working, but I have had to get up early with Fritzi several times.  The thing that is remarkable about this 
picture is that enough leaves have fallen that once again, I can see the pond at the foot of the pasture hill.  I have missed seeing it.  If I had taken this during the day, you could see that the Spehar's cabinet shop and barn are visible now, too. 

If my Google photos had synced with my phone, I could show you some even better sunrises, but somehow, I have turned it off again, I think. 


Guess what?  Here is Spot Yoder, the Feral Cat, sleeping in the 
Cathouse, which is now right by my front door.  Spot has actually come 
into the kitchen several times, but he struck out at Fritzi, who cannot see, 
when she smelled him and got too close.  I can't take a chance on her 
being caught in his claws, so.... He has his own little house. 
He is using it, too, I have actually taken several pictures of him now in it. I had to use hay because 
I had no straw but... this week, I will get a bale of straw delivered with my feed, and re-bed his house. Straw is better and warmer for him.  I hope to one day get him truly IN the house with us, but we are taking it slowly.  For now, he is comfortable. 

This doghouse, now the Cathouse, is up on blocks, and so far, none of the wild creatures have tried to nest in it. 


This baby was hiding in the cement block the other night.  More about it in a minute. 


Oh, no no no.... don't even think about it!




You can see here that Fritzi  struggles often, and was out in the wind the other day, trying to get back to the door.  I don't let her out alone, but she still can see a bit of light, I think.  Her nose is still working, and she knows something is living in the doghouse by the door.  
My son and I actually said our goodbyes last week, but my wonderful vet has managed to keep her going for a bit longer.  The Cushings is taking its' toll on her. 

She turns left going out the door, goes down those three steps... does her business, and for some reason, about 90% of the time, goes around the well house and to the patio, and back up the south steps from the patio, crossing the deck as she is here.   I don't argue with her, I think it's good she is still able to do it. 


One thing she is smelling is this little one. 
It has been coming out in the day time for several days. 


 It's darling, with its'
tiny little pink feet. 


"Admit it, you know you think I'm cute!"

It is not wrong for possums to eat during the day, and they are generally very 
calm creatures.  They WILL kill chickens, I admit that, so I don't necessarily want to encourage this baby to be around when the birds are loose. 
That said, it got cold pretty fast here, and the spilled seed is helping it. 
I did not see very many possums during the summer, now I am seeing them when 
I take the dogs out during the evening. 


I'm seeing lots of these guys, too.  I'm going out here in a bit to rake up the walnuts into a pile, so A. I won't break my neck turning an ankle on them and B., the squirrels can find them in a convenient pile. 


For about a month there, all of September, I had very little traffic at the flat feeder.  I took that to mean that the wild birds were eating in the fields and finding plenty of natural food.  I have noticed an upturn in feeding the past week. 

I have been seeing bluebirds on my railing outside the kitchen windows, so got some meal worms to mix with the finch mix that I feed there.  I am also putting out one of the low water basins I used last winter, they are heated and I keep it going all during the bad weather.  My problem is that the bigger critters tend to empty it at night, but I do not think it will catch fire. 
I have noticed in the past that bluebirds will literally sit around it, drinking and bathing.  

The goldfinches are still gone, but the house finches are still here and going strong.  The goldfinches will be back any day now.  I also am seeing... besides sparrows and chickadees... dark eyed juncoes, and tufted titmice, and several woodpeckers. 


And these friends;  there were six out there eating, yesterday. 


Here is a kind of grainy picture Jeff, my son, took of us last week when we 
thought Fritzi might not be coming home from the vet. 

As you can see, it's hard to get everyone to sit still for a second... if you saw the outtakes, you would laugh. 
I would love to have a professional picture! 

I'm thinking positively, friends, and all of you think positively for me too, please! 





























10 comments:

  1. That last picture is so sweet, professional or not. Stopping to pray for you now that you won't have caught the virus! I hope the vet gets well soon. I'm sure you'll find plenty to do while you're counting down the days and it's good that you will have some who will run errands for you. Sweet Fritzi, I'm so sorry about the diagnosis. That's always been a dreaded condition for us as dachshunds are so prone to it too. Possums are so cute, I didn't know they would kill chickens. Didn't know they were meat eaters.

    Take care, Mary Ann,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Oh gosh, that bally virus has so much to answer for... sending POTP for both you AND Fritzi. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for you and yours, Mary Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you don't get it Mary Ann. Dang, I'll be glad when this stuff is over.

    Fritzi is a sweet little girl. I know it's hard letting go. You'll all know when it is time.

    Stay safe and take care,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay safe. Scary to have been exposed. Fingers crossed you are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be keeping you in my prayers that you stay heathy and safe there. It's a chance we all have to take whether to go somewhere or not and the disese is all around us. At least you had your mask on ant that's all we can do that and wash our hands frequently. Hoping you get through this just fine. Loved seeing all the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you and saying a prayer that you haven't caught the virus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You, Fritzi, and your other critters are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wondering how you're doing now? Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Other than offering various kinds of merchandise, Amazon is now a web book store. It also has real-time features that are of the highest quality. Amazon has strayed too far into the manufacture and promotion of purchaser hardware, with the amazon fire tv stick being the finest in the industry for customer support. It offers customer support for the Amazon Fire Stick. For the most part, Amazon is known for providing crucial support to its customers through service phone numbers for your Amazon Fire Stick. When you have a problem with your Fire Stick, you can need Amazon Fire Stick Tech Support.If you want to watch with the help number amazon fire tv stick, you'll need an Amazon Prime fire stick customer service, connect via Amazon Nummer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!