Monday, September 21, 2020

The Equinox

The last day of summer, and in this sad year, I am not 

sorry to see the seasons change. 


So many lives lost.  So many homes and properties lost. 


It's been a brutal year. 


We still have beauty around us, though. 



People call squirrels "tree rats" and most gardeners hate them. 

I have always gone by the philosophy of "plant one plant for the wildings, and 
one plant for us".  I welcome them. 

(Lilly was not a fan of squirrels, though). 


I still have a few daylilies blooming on the deck!  It's crazy!


And... all of the sudden, the containers are re-blooming, and the flowers look good! 
The hummingbirds are darting back and forth crazily!




These guys!

It won't be long before they are gone, and they are tanking up for the trip now.  I am cleaning all three feeders daily now. 


All weekend long, I watched this black-capped chickadee out my kitchen windows. 


This morning, I found him, head hanging... and feared the worst. (and... stupidly erased the pictures from the camera card before importing them). 

I honestly thought he was dying. 

He was actually looking at a dead finch on the deck floor, I believe it was a bird strike. 


I would show you a finch close-up, but I erased IT, too, and it was a bird that let me get a foot from it. 


For some reason, with New Blogger, I cannot access pictures on my phone that are from the last few days, so, alas, there are no sheep pictures.  I'm not sure how long my friends will be here, despite the little rain we got, the pasture is pretty worn out. 

I suspect they will be moving home soon. 

A Coopers Hawk has been hunting here for the better part of three weeks. 

It has taken two of my chickens, and literally, in front of my eyes, two birds 

off the railing where I feed. 


I know it is around when I don't see a chicken in sight. 


What would today, the 21st of September be, without THIS, 

one of my all time favorite songs? 


September

(Click on it!) 

Stay safe out there! 









6 comments:

  1. The outfits in that music video are pretty wild! We love the silver (Western Gray) squirrels we have here. The neighbor's cat decimated the population, but I've seen ONE every once in awhile. The other day I saw two; hurray!!! Poppy would LOVE to nab one, but they can run through the field fencing and up trees so I think they are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are finally getting a rain right this minute. It's so dry some of the ground looks like powdered sugar. Plain old dust.

    Poor chickens and birds. The hawk is doing what it knows to do. Same with cats. They will kill everything in my yard.

    I love that song. A great one to dance to.

    We always plant and grow a lot more than we use for the critters. But, lol......the stinkers have not let me have a single cantaloupe or honey dew melon out of the garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    The season seems to know it is equinox here and we've gone from pretty decent late summer temps to grim early autumn ones - and cooler to come! hey ho... certainly won't be sad to see this year pass, will we? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although i'm sad to see summer go, fall does bring some relief from the heat, but I'm not quite ready to be cold either. We've had some chilly nights in the 40's but it's been in the 70's and sunny during the day. Really perfect weather. Every day is such a gift, I just try to enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate your efforts for this blog. This is so informative. Keep it up and keep sharing such posts.
    Sometimes it is difficult for students to manage their studies with job. In academic life they have to make lengthy assignments and assessments due to which they don’t get enough time to focus on studies. Therefore many students seek assignment help Melbourne. Many different subjects where students mostly seek online assignment help are chcece018 assessment answers Help, Management Assignment Help, bsbdiv501 assessment answers, etc.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!