Monday, May 14, 2018

Where to Start...

My gosh, we are rocketing along in the year!

Northeast Kansas had winter-like weather all the way to the end of 
April, and now we are in the middle of summer heat, with temps 
in the eighties, and even ninety yesterday on Mother's Day. 


Six "started" pullets came home with me from the feed store on 
Saturday, and somehow, two little tiny Cayuga ducklings ended up in the order. 
"Started" meaning they didn't sell at a day old last week. 
Hmmmm. 

I mistakenly called the ducklings Anconas on FB and Insta, because I want 
Anconas badly.  (they are good egg layers). 

Now I will have black and white ducks.... with the big four 
already here. 

You know, these guys. 


LOOK AT THAT ORANGE BILL!!!

I am so glad for them, as their bills were totally white when I brought them home. 

I am hoping the two little Cayugas are ducks,  not drakes, but we shall see. 

I must be nuts to take on more tiny babies. 
I am nutso about fresh water, and check them numerous times a day. 
In fact, I was just out there. 
I have tours for the next three mornings, so will be worrying in the back of my mind. 
I may put a second water in there for those mornings. 


I am still trying to get the rest of the perennials in and cut the saplings OUT... but these girls are NOT HELPING ME. 


 My buddy. 

Yes, Lilly Ann is still with us, too. 


I found this four foot long black rat snake out by the 
old walnut stump yesterday morning. 
I suggested he go over to the hen spa and help me out.  


It worked. 


I am hoping he starts working on the prolific mouse population, because I am 
still a week away from cleaning the hen house and re-bedding it. 

There are just too many tours this week. 

The babies are in the brooder on stilts, and I had the guy make it 
with hardware cloth instead of poultry wire, so snakes cannot get through. 


Last week, I took delivery of a new hen house. 
This is the interior.... there is a nest box and a sturdy roost. 

It looks huge, but it is actually only 8 x 10, and sits right next 
to the hen spa. 

If you can believe this, I FORGOT TO HAVE THE GUY CUT A
POPHOLE. 

I need to get it fenced, and then I'll move the babies into it. 
I also have a guy who can run some outlets over to it, 
for lights and to run a water base in winter. 

I am not going to put an elaborate fence around it, 
like the hen spa yard, but enough to dissuade the 
raccoons.  Remember, these are in the yard, not the pasture. 



See it sitting next to the hen spa? 

See the weeds in the perennial bed???

Still working on them. 


This is a Baltimore Oriole on one of the hummingbird feeders. 

He tried so hard to get sugar water. 

The day I bought the chicks/ducklings, I bought an
oriole feeder and put grape jelly and sugar water in it. 
Then I didn't see the oriole for two days. 

Just ten minutes ago, when I went out to check the water for the chicks, 
the oriole flew off the feeder!  Hooray!

I love the wild birds as much as my chickens. 




You need to peer at this picture closely.  Every morning when I 
go to take care of the tweenage chicks in the little red hen house, 
I leave the gate to the hen yard open. 
This is what I am finding now on a daily basis... the sheep chew 
their cuds in the shade of the hen house, see them under there? 
Keith would never have dreamed of this, and I am sure he is 
laughing at me up in heaven.   They are also grazing that yard down, for which I am thankful. 


I regularly get closeups on the game camera. 

I LOVE these girls and babies. 


My neighbors Troy and Kathy told me yesterday that they are 
really enjoying sitting out on their deck and seeing the lambs playing in the pasture. 
So am I. 




Of course, these guys are still around, too.  I am about to 
foil them, though, as I have found a carpenter to make 
the raccoon-proof feral cat feeder for me, and they are going to have to 
make do with spillage in the future. 


I haven't only been working on the place, though, 
I got to go out a week ago to see The Little River Band 
who were appearing here locally.  Keith and I had seen them five 
years ago in Ottawa (and I had seen them several times in the past). 
A new member is missing off to the right in this picture, who had a great voice and played 
great. 

Wayne Nelson has been the lead singer for many years, as the band 
transitioned from it's Australian origins to being an all-American band, 
but they played the good oldies so very well, and had the whole theater 
rocking.  If you have a chance to see them, GO. 


I end with this picture taken yesterday at the ballpark, where Jax was 
playing in a tournament.  The coaches of his team made a 
presentation to the mothers/grandmothers who were present, the 
moms got red roses and a cookie, and grandmas got pink roses. 
It was a HUGE surprise, and almost made me cry.  As you can 
see, the sun was beating down, and I actually had my sun glasses on, 
it was hot and humid.  Amy was as surprised as I was, and it was a wonderful 
gesture on the coaches' part. 

I have some good pictures and videos of the setting of the 
new hen house, and I'll try to post them this week. 
The days are rushing by, I don't know where the year is going. 







7 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of your family! I was also fascinated by the babe chickens...how come some of them look "pinkish" in spots? You have so many interesting animals. I don't think I've ever seen a sheep up close. A few years ago we drove through Amish country near Lancaster, PA, and saw either sheep or goats from the car window. The others in the car got a big laugh at me because I couldn't tell the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a happy place. i love seeing what you have gong on there. we are having summer weather too which makes me very unhappy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Well thank goodness you were around on the second day... the new house looks five star. And who doesn't love a little lambie and its mmmaaaaaaaaaaammm!!! glad you got spoiled yesterday. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much going on Mary Ann,,,, How do you keep it all under control?
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great new hen house Mary Ann. I know the snakes don't bother you, but they creep me out.
    The chicks and ducks are too cute.

    VERY nice of the coaches giving the roses. Love the picture of all you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are still cool here and Mothers Day we were in the 50's . Hard to believe you are so warm. It's been very rainy too and nothing much can be done outside. You are so busy with much to do but it seems you love it all. That's what makes life worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of stuff going on at your place! We were so happy to read the Lily is still there but really, that snake has to go!

    Stopping by for a visit!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!