Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Hot Saturday

I know it's hot wherever you are reading this too, if you are in the U.S..  I don't remember any summer being quite so wet and hot... or dry and hot, depending on where you are. 
Nathan and I decided to make the best of it, and made a trip to the City Market, in downtown Kansas City, Missouri.
I had not been there in years, though used to go early on Saturday mornings when I lived closer, meeting a friend, shopping for produce, and having breakfast.  It was a nice way to start the weekend.
It is much more gentrified now, no one bringing their dogs into the crowd, or vagrants digging through dumpsters.  There is a lovely park next to it (new to me) and security prevalent everywhere.
Still the same good produce, and people hawking their wares, but twice the number of restaurants, with a very good ethnic blend.

As you can see by the historical sign in the new park, it is a very old gathering place for this city.
Parts are covered
And parts are only roofed.
These ladies, from Huns Gardens in Kansas City, Kansas, were making a killing with their beautfiul cut flower arrangements... I saw many, many people carrying them.
Nathan and I had fresh-squeezed lemonade, and bought pickling cukes (only to find ours are about to come in), some peppers,
and some wonderful corn so sweet that Keith and I had part of an ear raw. 

Besides shopping, lots of folks were visiting and eating.
I stopped at a restaurant on the way out, and bought a gyro to eat later.  With it came hummus and pita, and it was very, very good.

Here is Nathan, manfully adjusting the very heavy sack of corn, 13 ears for 5.00, before schlepping it to the car which was parked 3 blocks away in the nearly 100 degree heat already!
That corn weighed 30 pounds by the time we got it to the car, but boy, was it worth it!  I sent some home with Sherie and the boys this afternoon.
After we took care of the animals for round two of watering, and Christopher had finished weed-eating with frequent breaks, we all cleaned up and went to the movies in Lawrence.  Chris met a friend and saw Transformers, and Nathan and I saw Harry Potter, and we highly recommend it!  It was such a nice end to a hot summer day! Keith finished up chores so I could have a nice evening with the grands.  Thanks, Honey! 

1 comment:

  1. Hubby and I had a date night on Sat. Went to eat and then to see the late showing of Harry Potter. Was a good movie.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!